“We didn’t follow our plans,” says Harmanpreet Kaur after loss during 1st T20I

The Indian women’s team led by skipper Harmanpreet Kaur is hosting England in a limited-overs series that includes a three-match T20I series followed by a three-match T20I series. It will be followed by a one-off, four-day Test match. The series commenced on 6th December 2023 and will conclude on 17th December 2023. All the matches of the T20I series will be played at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. The one-off Test match will be played at the DY Patil stadium.

Harmanpreet Kaur. PC: Getty
Harmanpreet Kaur. PC: Getty

The Indian skipper Harmanpreet Kaur won the toss and opted to field first. The experienced duo of Nat Sciver-Brunt and Danielle Wyatt capitalised on a below-par effort in the field and posted a massive total of 197/6 on the board courtesy of a huge 138-run partnership for the third wicket. It was their second-highest total against India in the T20I format.

Sciver-Brunt, Danielle Wyatt, and Ecclestone power England to a 38-win over India. PC: Getty
Sciver-Brunt, Danielle Wyatt, and Ecclestone power England to a 38-win over India. PC: Getty

Chasing a massive total, the Indian openers got off to a good start scoring at almost 10 runs per over before they suffered a double blow losing the opening batter Smriti Mandhana and Jemimah Rodrigues in quick succession putting the home side on the back foot in a steep run chase. Skipper Harmanpreet Kaur and the wicket-keeper batter Richa Ghosh alongside Shafali Verma kept India in the hunt in the run chase. Shafali Verma eventually succumbed to pressure and lost her wicket. The home side eventually lost their way and failed to provide the final punch.

As a result, India were 38 runs short of the target. India’s disappointing run at home in the T20I format continued with a defeat in the first T20I, making it a five-match losing streak for the women in blue.

Also Read:  Alyssa Healy and Phoebe Litchfield record Highest Partnership by any team against India

Their last victory at home in the T20I format came in March 2021 when they defeated South Africa in Lucknow. India have a win percentage of 37% at home in the T20I format since 2010. The Indian women’s team would be looking to bounce back strongly to not only improve their record in the format at home but also against their opponents, England. India has a head-to-head home record of 2-8, heavily tilted in favour of England.

With their backs against the wall, the Indian side led by skipper Harmanpreet Kaur are ready to pull up their socks and have the opportunity to turn the tide by clinching the next two T20Is on 9th and 10th December 2023. “We didn’t follow our plans. New bowlers will learn quickly before heading to the T20 World Cup. I know it’s a tough game. They are very good batters, they have played good cricket for so many years. We had a slight change in the bowling department so we will come back stronger.”

The Indian skipper Harmanpreet Kaur speaks about the defeat in the first T20I being a learning curve for the youngsters in the bowling department.

(Quotes sourced from IANS)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here