Suzie Bates becomes First ever cricketer to score 3500 T20I Runs

New Zealand veteran, Suzie Bates hadn’t been at her best for a while, but since she’s landed her foot on English soil this summer she’s seemed to have found her lost mojo. Suzie Bates in New Zealand’s opener presented nothing short of a masterclass and in the 2nd contest couldn’t get the desired runs, but edged past a figure that holds great significance.

Suzie Bates becomes First ever cricketer to score 3500 T20I Runs. PC: Getty Images
Suzie Bates becomes First ever cricketer to score 3500 T20I Runs. PC: Getty Images

Suzie Bates playing in New Zealand’s 2nd game at the Commonwealth Games got to 34 runs and has a milestone to her name. The figure that holds great significance is of 3500 T20I runs that Suzie Bates has edged past as she continues to lead the chart for most runs in the format across both men’s and women’s cricket.

Suzie Bates had pitched a masterclass in the opener against South Africa and the numbers game do justice in calling it one as from being 10(16) at the end of the powerplay to 30(29) at the 10-over mark and then to 48(43) at the 15-over mark, it only was as if Suzie Bates was looking to survive. The little acceleration was casting shadows of the coming events and when it did, it took the face of a T20I masterclass as the silence before the storm was put to rest and the surge took place that saw Bates finish on 91* off 64 and to sum it up, it simply was a brilliantly paced T20I innings.

Suzie Bates has had and is enjoying a good love affair with the T20I format which has her at the top of the charts with 3505 runs in 125 innings (128 matches) at a healthy strike rate of 110.74 and a good average of 30.47. The format alone has seen Bates get to as many as 22 half centuries and a century with the highest score of 124* that’d come against South Africa. Not to forget, in the opener she was unbeaten on 91 and also has a 94* to her name.

Also Read:  Barbados Women's Cricket at CWG 2022 | Schedule, Squad, Live Streaming, Latest News

Next on the women’s list is Meg Lanning who’s got to 3164 runs in 111 innings (121 matches) and the only other in the 3000+T20I runs bracket on the women’s list is Stafanie Taylor who’s got to 3121 runs in 109 innings (111 matches). The very next seeding has a big difference as the recently retired, Deandra Dottin, 31, is placed 4th with 2697 runs.

A quick look at the men’s T20I seeding as well where Rohit Sharma in 123* innings (131* matches) has got to 3454* runs. Martin Guptill is next on with 3399 runs in 112 innings (116 matches). The last name in the 3000+ T20I runs in the men’s bracket sees Virat Kohli with 3308 runs in 91 innings (99 matches).

The category of 3000+ T20I runs sees only 6 cricketers across both men’s and women’s brackets which Suzie Bates leads and she now stands alone in the 3500+ runs bracket which defines her class and consistency in the format that’s believed to be hard to score runs in.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here