Harmanpreet Kaur surpasses MS Dhoni’s T20I Captaincy Record

India’s 2nd match at the Commonwealth Games against Pakistan saw India bag a win and register a crucial couple of points. The win meant more to skipper Harmanpreet Kaur than anyone else as she surpassed MS Dhoni’s 41 T20I matches win to lead the charts of most matches won by an Indian skipper in the shortest T20I format.

Smriti Mandhana's unbeaten 63 helps India beat Pakistan by 8 Wickets. PC: Getty Images
Smriti Mandhana’s unbeaten 63 helps India beat Pakistan by 8 Wickets. PC: Getty Images

Harmanpreet Kaur with a win against Pakistan now has won 42 games captaining India in the shortest T20I format which is the highest by any Indian captain and has the likes of Mahendra Singh Dhoni with 41 and Virat Kohli with 30 following on the list.

Harmanpreet Kaur

Harmanpreet Kaur has captained India for a long time and she’s grown massively as a player and as a captain for India over the years. Harmanpreet Kaur in the 71 matches she’s led India has got wins in 42 and lost 26 with 3 ending without a result. Harmanpreet enjoys a strong win percentage of 61.76 in the format.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni

Rightly termed as a genius cricketing brain and a special leader, MS Dhoni having captained India in 72 matches registered wins in 41 and lost 28. A couple of games lie in the category of tie and no result as well. MS Dhoni’s win percentage is a strong one of 59.28.

Virat Kohli

Virat Kohli hasn’t captained India a lot as a tag of failing to win trophies at World Cups had him step down from the role early. In the 50 matches in which Virat captained India in the shortest format, India registered wins in 30 and lost 16 with a couple each having no result and ending in a tie. Virat Kohli holds a strong wins percentage of 64.58 in the format.

Also Read:  Preview: 3rd ODI – India vs New Zealand Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming

Harmanpreet Kaur was always a true leader. Mithali Raj stepping down in 2016 saw Harmanpreet Kaur get the reigns to captain the Indian team and how well has she done it. With Mithali Raj around the captaining never came easy Harmanpreet Kaur’s way as only after Mithali Raj’s retirement a few months back did we see Harmanpreet Kaur given charge of the Indian team across all formats which really was a long time due. Leadership brings responsibility and Harmanpreet Kaur understands it very well and it’s actually seen her do better with the added responsibility of captaining India.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here