Australian skipper Meg Lanning completed her 7000 international runs during the 2nd ODI against New Zealand in the Rose Bowl series. The 29-year-old made her career debut in the year 2010 against New Zealand and has played 198 international matches to date.
Over her decade-long career span, she has 185 test runs from 4 matches, 3910 ODI runs from 84 matches and 2914 T20I runs from 110 matches taking her tally to 7009 career runs, proving that she has been nicknamed ‘Megastar’ for a reason.
Meg Lanning’s international Runs so far:
Total Runs: 7009*
— Female Cricket (@imfemalecricket) April 7, 2021
She has been a powerful player since the beginning of her career. In her second ODI match, at the age of 18, she scored an unbeaten 103 runs for her team becoming the youngest Australian to have scored an international century. She also broke the record of hitting the fastest century as she scored a ton against The White Ferns off just 45 balls in an ODI.
She was named the captain of her side at the age of 21 as she became the youngest player ever to have captained Australia. She has led her team to many ODI and T20 World Cups. In just 10 years, she has won 5 world cups for Australia. Not just the world cup, she recently led her team to a record-breaking 22nd consecutive ODI victory. She equaled Ricky Ponting’s record of 21 ODI wins in October 2020, and created history on 4th April 2020 by winning the first ODI against New Zealand taking the tally to 22.
Meg Lanning has made the following records in her career:
- Most runs in an ODI series by a captain- 1232 runs
- Third highest batting average in ODI- 54.38
- Most number of centuries against one team in ODI- 6 tons
- Second highest partnership for the third wicket in ODI- 224 runs
- She ranks 8th in the list of players having played most T20I matches- 110
- She is ranked second in the list of players having played most T20 matches as the captain- 78
- She holds the record for scoring most runs in an innings by a captain- 133*
- She ranks 3rd in the list of players who made the fastest 2000 T20I runs.
- Fastest to score 14 ODI centuries- 82 innings