Rachael Haynes pulls out of the inaugural season of The Hundred

Australia’s power performer Rachael Haynes has released her scheduled time with the Oval Invincibles in the inaugural season of The Hundred. This might as well be the first of many high-profile discontinuations from the tournament due to the COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.

 

Rachael Haynes Female Cricket
Rachael Haynes. PC: Twitter

 

Haynes was one of the top class players to sign an overseas contract for the 100-ball tournament, but the travel restrictions at this point, furthermore because the possibility of two-week isolation upon her return to Australia, has led to such a decision.

As per a report by the Evening Standard, Haynes is said to be the first player to have pulled out of the tournament for such a reason. But her other teammates at the tournament from the Australian clan, i.e., Meg Lanning, Ellyse Perry, Alyssa Healy, and Beth Mooney are among those that are going to be concerned about similar problems.

 

The Hundred. PC: Getty Images
The Hundred. PC: Getty Images

 

All the overseas payers in both the men’s and women’s tournaments will be regularly monitored by the authorities. It is so because they’ll keep traveling to different venues to play the games because of which they’ll have to follow a strict bio-secure environment and abide by all the rules and restrictions. The England and the Wales Cricket Board are positive that in case of any vacancies, high-profile players will be readily available to fill in the spot.

“We’re disappointed to lose a player of Rachael’s stature and ability, but the realities of Covid mean there remain practicalities that are difficult for some overseas players to overcome. A replacement overseas player will be signed by Oval Invincibles, and we look forward to showcasing the women’s game with world-class players performing on a big platform through The Hundred this summer,” said an ECB spokesperson.

The Hundred will kick start with a women’s tournament this year, after being canceled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The tournament will witness 8 women’s teams namely London Spirit, Northern Superchargers, Southern Brave, Birmingham Phoenix, Oval Invincibles, Trent Rockets, Welsh Fire, and Manchester Originals. The first match will be played between Manchester Originals and Oval Invincibles in London on July 21 and will conclude on August 22 with the final game being played at the iconic Lords.

Liked the story? Leave a comment here