5 Players from Australian Women’s Cricket Team Visits Barbuda

Australian Women's Cricket Team
Australian Women’s Cricket Team

Australian women team which is currently in West Indies, preparing for their upcoming one-day international series against the host, took out the time out of their busy schedule and visited the Caribbean island of Barbuda, by boarding an eight-seater aircraft for the 17 minute journey from Antigua to Barbuda.

Five members of the Australian Women Team, Delissa Kimmince, Ashleigh Gardner, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry and Rachael Haynes, visited Barbuda, which was struck by Hurricane Irma back in 2017 and is still managing to get on its feet after that horrifying natural disaster. Hoping to bring a little light and life in the community’s life.

They were given a tour of the school and the nearby sporting facilities, they also had an interaction with a group of local children, with whom they played cricket and passed on some of the cricket knowledge to them.

Mooney said to cricket.com.au “They’re still rebuilding the community here and the High Commission and the Red Cross are doing a lot of work to support that, so we thought we’d come out there to bring some light to the community and have some fun with the kids and hopefully get a few more playing cricket because I’ve heard basketball is a big sport here.”

The sports trainer at the school, Peter Cuffy, was overwhelmed with the visit of these cricketers and expressed the same by saying “With this visit of the Australian team, for me as someone who teaches sports at the high school I hope this will signal a rebirth of cricket back on Barbuda.”
Well, this gesture by the visiting team and currently the number 1 ranked women’s side says a lot!

Loves all things female cricket

Also Read:  Perth Scorchers sign 4 Local Players to Complete their WBBL 2022 Squad
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here