Jess Jonassen wants to emulate Ravindra Jadeja during India tour

Jess Jonassen trying to take a leaf out of Ravindra Jadeja’s book of spin bowling to get to terms with the Indian conditions ahead of their upcoming tour.

Jess Jonassen. PC: Getty Images

The Australian women’s team was last involved in a bilateral home series against the West Indies. It was a limited-overs series that included a three-match T20I series followed by a three-match ODI series. Australia eventually managed to clinch both the series. On the other hand, the Indian women’s team was last involved in the 19th edition of the Asian Games in Hangzhou China, where they managed to clinch a historic gold medal.

The Indian women’s team is all set to host Australia for an all-format series in December this year. It includes a one-off Test match followed by a three-match ODI series followed by a three-match T20I series. The series will get underway on 21st December 2023 and will conclude on 9th January 2023. India will be hosting Australia for a Test Match after 39 years. None of the players from Australia’s current squad for their upcoming tour to India were even born, the last time India hosted Australia for a Test Match, which was way back in the year 1984.

The Australian women’s team recently announced their squad for their upcoming tour to India. Since the conditions in India favour the spinners the squad witnesses the presence of three top-quality spinners Jess Jonassen, Alana King, and Georgia Wareham forming the spin trio in the squad.

Also Read:  Australia's squad for India tour announced, Lauren Cheatle returns

The 31-year-old Australian veteran left-arm spinner Jess Jonassen made her Test debut on 11th August 2015 against England. She has played all of her five matches in her Test career so far against only one opponent, and that opponent is their arch-rivals, England. “Whenever the selection becomes official it is always exciting and always nice and I am really proud to be part of such a historic trip. We have some really talented spinners in the squad and we are all going to be licking our lips to get the nod. Ultimately the balance of the side will dictate that.” The left-arm spinner speaks about the tough competition among the quality spin trio within the squad.

“Ravindra Jadeja has just got incredible control of his pace into the same length. His ability to beat both sides of the bat is probably second to none. That is something I will be hoping to emulate myself when I can get over there to India. Hopefully, I can have a few spells like he has had in his Test career. In the current climate, Jadeja is the bowler I look to. I have been watching him in the 50-over World Cup in India.”

The Australian left-arm spinner speaks about trying to take a leaf out of the star Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja’s book of spin bowling and her admiration for the Indian all-rounder.

She is currently leading the Brisbane Heat in the ongoing 9th edition of the Women’s Big Bash League. She is also currently, the top wicket-taker for the Brisbane Heat with 14 wickets at an impressive strike rate of 16.07 and an average of 21.78 to her name in 10 innings. Her best performance with the ball so far this season came on 15th November 2023, when she returned with brilliant match figures (3.3-0-20-4) against the Hobart Hurricanes. She also became the first player to surpass 150 wickets in the history of the Women’s Big Bash League en route to her match-winning spell in the last game against the Hobart Hurricanes.

Also Read:  India claim Historic First-Ever Test Win over Australia Women at Wankhede

(Quotes sourced from Espncricinfo).

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here