Watch Video: Here’s what Hrishikesh Kanitkar said after India’s Super-Over Win

India won the second T20I at the DY Patil Sports Academy Stadium to end Australiaโ€™s unbeaten run this year. It was a brilliant win for India coming on the back of a one-sided defeat on Friday against Alyssa Healyโ€™s girls. Indiaโ€™s bowling was once again lackluster, as the Aussies lost just one wicket but the batters stood up in a chase of 188.

Smriti Mandhana and Richa Ghosh help India clinch a Super-Over Thriller against Australia. PC: BCCI Women / Twitter
Smriti Mandhana and Richa Ghosh help India clinch a Super-Over Thriller against Australia. PC: BCCI Women / Twitter

Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma gave India a good start with the former going on to make 79 runs. A brilliant cameo by Richa Ghosh and 11 vital runs from the bat of Devika Vaidya ensured that India leveled the scores and took the match to a super-over. India made 20 in their 6 balls following which the Aussies fell short by 4 runs to ensure an Indian victory.

This also marked Indiaโ€™s first win since Hrishikesh Kanitkar took over as batting coach. Kanitkar was appointed as batting coach ahead of the 5-match series, with the then head coach, Ramesh Powar being transferred to the NCA.

Hrishikesh Kanitkar addresses Team India after 2nd T20I Win. PC: BCCIWomen
Hrishikesh Kanitkar addresses Team India after 2nd T20I Win. PC: BCCIWomen

The 48-year-old Kanitkar is a domestic stalwart, having featured in 146 first-class games and 128 List-A games. He has also played 2 tests and 34 ODIs for India, with his last appearance for the country coming in January 2000.

He addressed the team after the nail-biter to acknowledge the performance put up by the players. Kanitkar admitted that it was a proud day for the team, not just because of the result but because of the fight that was shown by the team against a rampant Australian outfit. He was however quick to add that this was just one game and that there is still a series to be won. โ€œRemember, itโ€™s a five-match series and itโ€™s only 1-1. This is what you guys are capable of and now itโ€™s up to us to maintain the level. All the effort has to go in again. So tonight, you enjoy and relax and from tomorrow we start againโ€, he mentioned.

Also Read:  "I fear she might break someone's head," says Amitabh Bachchan

The third game of the series will be held at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai on December 14. India will look to carry the positives from the second game and work on the areas which lacked steam. The bowling department is one area that requires a lot of work as India have only picked up 2 wickets in 38.1 overs so far in the series.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here