“Excited about the World Cup”, says Craig McMillan, Assistant Coach of White Ferns

New Zealand has become the eighth team to announce their squad for the highly anticipated ICC Women’s T20 World Cup, scheduled to take place from 3rd October to 20th October in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The White Ferns have previously come close to glory, finishing as runners-up in the first two editions of the tournament in 2009 and 2010 and reaching the semi-finals in 2012 and 2016.

"Excited about the World Cup", says Craig McMillan, Assistant Coach of White Ferns. PC: Getty
“Excited about the World Cup”, says Craig McMillan, Assistant Coach of White Ferns. PC: Getty

The squad boasts a perfect mix of seasoned veterans and promising youngsters. Leading the charge will be the ever-reliable Sophie Devine, who, along with Suzie Bates, will mark their ninth consecutive appearance in the T20 World Cup. This tournament will also be Devine’s final stint as skipper in the T20 format. Other senior players, such as Lea Tahuhu, Amelia Kerr, and Maddy Green, add strength and experience to the squad.

Despite facing challenges, assistant coach Craig McMillan is optimistic about his team’s potential. He expressed his confidence, stating, “I think the expectations will stay within the group, but what I would say is that we’re excited about the (T20) World Cup and the matches that we have in our group.”

Although the White Ferns haven’t reached the knockout stages since their 2016 semi-final appearance, McMillan remains hopeful. “We know that we probably won’t be one of the teams that’s favoured by many, but we’re confident in the players and the group we have and we’re really looking forward to the tournament,” he remarked.

Adding depth to the pace attack is Rosemary Mair, returning from a back injury that kept her out of the England tour in July. She will be joined by Jess Kerr, Hannah Rowe, and Molly Penfold. Meanwhile, Amelia Kerr will lead the spin department, supported by Fran Jonas. McMillan emphasized the importance of balance within the team, stating, “I like the balance we have with the youngsters learning off the experienced players that we have, but what we need is everyone doing their job to the best of their ability and if that happens, you just never know what might happen come World Cup time.”

Also Read:  Summary of ICC Women's T20 World Cup Finals (2009-2023)

Two of New Zealand’s legends, Bates and Devine, are set to make history with their ninth consecutive appearances at the T20 World Cup. Bates has already amassed over 1,000 runs at the tournament with 1066 runs from 36 matches, while Devine has excelled with both bat and ball with her 671 runs and 29 wickets from 32 matches. McMillan lauded their contributions, saying, “When they (Devine and Bates) finish (retire), they will go down as two of the very best that have played for the White Ferns and I couldn’t think of a better way for two legends of the game in New Zealand to perhaps go out, maybe holding a trophy.”

McMillan’s tenure as assistant coach began earlier this year, and while New Zealand faced tough defeats against England in both the ODI and T20I series in July, he sees potential in this squad. Reflecting on the challenges, McMillan shared, “I think we learnt that there’s work to be done to compete consistently with the top sides in the world and we obviously recently played England, who are certainly one of those sides that are in the top three (favourites).”

However, the coach remains confident in his team’s ability, saying, “But also I think what we learnt was there’s plenty of talent and skill in this White Ferns side and how good this New Zealand side is I think will show very soon and I’m really excited by that.”

New Zealand’s preparations include a three-match T20I series against Australia in Mackay and Brisbane, starting on September 16. In the World Cup, they find themselves in Group A alongside defending champions Australia, India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. The White Ferns will kick off their campaign with a crucial opening match against India on 4th October at the Dubai International Stadium.

Also Read:  Revised schedule for ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2024 Announced

New Zealand’s World Cup squad:

Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Eden Carson, Izzy Gaze, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Fran Jonas, Leigh Kasperek, Amelia Kerr, Jess Kerr, Rosemary Mair, Molly Penfold, Georgia Plimmer, Hannah Rowe, Lea Tahuhu

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile Mozambique Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket