New Zealand’s Squad for T20 World Cup 2023 Announced

New Zealand has named their squad ahead of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2023. Led by Sophie Devine, the squad has the likes of experienced players in the form of Suzie Bates, Maddy Green and Amelia Kerr.

New Zealand's Squad for T20 World Cup 2023 Announced. PC: Getty Images
New Zealand’s Squad for T20 World Cup 2023 Announced. PC: Getty Images

This will also be the first World Cup for Molly Penfold and Eden Carson. The duo of Georgia Plimmer and Fran Jonas who are currently playing in the U19 World Cup will join the squad shortly. Adding a lot of firepower to the White Ferns in the pace bowling department are Lea Tahuhu, Hayley Jensen, Jess Kerr and Hannah Rowe. Lauren Down and Brooke Halliday are set to bring in more depth to the batting department.

A surprise inclusion has been that of Bernadine Bezuidenhout. She has been recalled to the squad after a two-year absence from cricket to focus on healing from RED-S (Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport), an illness that affects many female Kiwi athletes The inclusion of the former South African international is the sole alteration to the side that faced Bangladesh in three Twenty20s and three One-Day Internationals in December, with wicketkeeper Jess McFadyen missing out.

Speaking about her comeback, Ben Sawyer, the Head Coach said, “For the past seven or eight months we’ve been looking to establish a brand of cricket which we believe spectators will enjoy and, at the same time, gives us the best possible chance of success in major tournaments. With both the bat in hand and her work behind the stumps, we believe that Bernie will contribute positively to that style of play. Bernie has already shown this season what she can do with both bat and gloves, and we think that her previous international experience will stand her in good stead in this World Cup. She has gone on quite a journey to return to cricket this season and we’re really looking forward to welcoming her back into the White Ferns environment”.

Also Read:  Match 26: Central Hinds vs Northern Brave | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report I

Sawyer also reflected on the team selection and said, “We’re really happy with how the side is shaping up heading into this World Cup. World Cups are always an exciting occasion for any player, especially for those players in our squad who are attending their first. We speak a lot about roles and matchups on our side, and I believe that we have a lot of quality options to cover all that will be thrown up against us in South Africa. I’ve also been pleased with the way the squad have been performing for their teams in the Dream11 Super Smash, and we’re now looking for them to transfer that form on the ground in South Africa. We’re excited to get over there and get started on what will hopefully be a successful campaign.” With the inclusion of Morne Morkel in the support staff, a lot can be expected of the White Ferns team.

New Zealand’s Squad for T20 World Cup 2023

Sophie Devine (Captain), Suzie Bates, Bernadine Bezuidenhout (wk), Eden Carson, Lauren Down, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas, Amelia Kerr, Jess Kerr, Molly Penfold. Georgia Plimmer, Hannah Rowe and Lea Tahuhu

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here