Meg Lanning is back to lead Australia in upcoming T20 World Cup 2023

Cricket Australia (CA) has announced a strong 15-member squad ahead of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2023. The five-time champions present themselves as favorites for the showpiece event and with the return of skipper Meg Lanning and leg spinner, Georgia Wareham further strengthening their squad.

Meg Lanning is back to lead Australia in upcoming T20 World Cup 2023. PC: Getty Images
Meg Lanning is back to lead Australia in upcoming T20 World Cup 2023. PC: Getty Images

Alyssa Healy has also been included in the squad and she will be fit to feature in the squad as she has not played since her calf injury in the Australia series but the management is confident about her return in the T20I series versus Pakistan and subsequently, the World Cup. She will serve as the deputy to the returning Meg Lanning.

Another addition to the squad is Georgia Wareham who is making her comeback after a 14-month ACL injury that ruled her out but her presence in the winning teams of 2018 and 2020 on the back of good domestic performances guaranteed her place and will join the spin duo, Alana King and Jess Jonassen. Her inclusion meant Amanda-Jade Wellington did not make the cut and Meg Lanning would take her place for Phoebe Litchfield. This will be a maiden World Cup appearance for Tahlia McGrath, Darcie Brown and Grace Harris and they will look to make a mark but what is phenomenal and will work in favour of Australia is how nine of their victorious 2020 side will be a part of this squad and this brightens their prospects.

Perhaps the biggest non-selection is Nicola Carey who has been an integral part of Australia for almost 4 years and was even a part of the 2020 World Cup winning squad but has not been able to cement her place in the squad owing to the tough competition in the side. She made way for Kim Garth and Heather Graham who debuted in the India series and the impressed with her performances.

Also Read:  Mitchell Starc leaves Africa tour to watch wife Alyssa Healy in T20 World Cup final at Melbourne

National selector, Shawn Flegler was quoted saying, “It’s always tough to narrow a squad down to just 15 players, but we’re confident we’ve picked a well-balanced side. Seeing Meg and Georgia back in action for Victoria has been exciting. Both bring a wealth of experience to the group, which is always crucial during major tournaments. Georgia in particular, has had a tough run of injuries, but she’s shown a great deal of resilience and her return is a real boost for the side. Unfortunately, there was no room for Nicola, Phoebe or Amanda-Jade, but they’re still well and truly in our plans and are on standby should they be required.”

Australia’s Squad for Women’s T20 World Cup 2023

Meg Lanning (capt), Alyssa Healy, Darcie Brown, Ashleigh Gardner, Kim Garth, Heather Graham, Grace Harris, Jess Jonassen, Alana King, Tahlia McGrath, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Georgia Wareham.

In the lead-up to the World Cup, Australia will play Pakistan in a T20I series and then get World Cup ready. Australia is in Group A with the likes of New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Here are their fixtures in the World Cup:-

Date

Fixture

Venue

11th February

New Zealand

Boland Park, Paarl

14th February

Bangladesh

St George’s Park, Gqeberha

16th February

Sri Lanka

St George’s Park, Gqeberha

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Also Read:  Sophie Devine Creates World Record, Smashes Fastest T20 Century in 36 Balls
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here