Ellyse Perry heaps praise on uncapped Annabel Sutherland; concussion clouds for Ashleigh Gardner

Premier Australia all-rounder Ellyse Perry heaped a lot of praise on uncapped T20 World Cup squad member Annabel Sutherland.

Ellyse Perry - Female Cricket
Ellyse Perry. Pic Credits: ICC

18-year-old Sutherland, yet to make her international debut, was the sole surprise inclusion in Australia’s squad for the T20I Tri-Series and the ICC T20 World Cup. Ellyse Perry believes the teenage all-rounder could turn out to be one of the best players Australia has ever produced. Perry, who was recently crowned the ICC’s Women’s Cricketer of the Year herself debuted for Australia at 16.

“It’s huge,” Perry told cricket.com.au of Sutherland’s potential. “She’s already fulfilled a lot of that potential and it’s scary to think how much further she can go.”

“She’s a wonderful athlete, she’s got a great build, she bowls fast and into the wicket and is able to swing it. She’s a very, very classy batter, plays essentially around the whole ground already. To think that she’s only had such a small amount of experience at this level, but she already looks capable and comfortable. Time is only going to make her better,” she said showering praises on her new teammate.

“I’m really pumped that she’s getting the opportunity because I think she could be one of the best we’ve ever produced,” concluded Perry.

Meanwhile, clouds of an injury layoff loom over all-rounder Ashleigh Gardner’s participation in the T20I tri-series against India and England. She suffered a concussion during practice on Sunday, 26 January.

While bowling in the nets, the 22-year-old had turned and was walking away when she was hit by the ball at the base of her head. Soon after, she showed symptoms of a concussion and took no further part in the training session. Also, she did not take part in a warm-up game against Cricket Australia XI on Monday.

Also Read:  Mighty Australia too strong for Bangladesh, clean sweeps ODI series 3-0

The all-rounder did return to training on Thursday and bowled in the nets showing some signs of recovery. However, she will be thoroughly assessed before Australia’s first game against England on Saturday and will be available to play only if she clears all fitness tests satisfactorily.

Womens three-nation T20I Broadcast Schedule

Match Date (India) IST Channel
India Women vs. England Women 1st T20i 31/01/20 08:40 Sony ESPN SD & HD
Australia Women vs. England Women 2nd T20i 01/02/20 08:30 Sony ESPN SD & HD
Australia Women vs. India Women 3rd T20i 02/02/20 08:30 Sony ESPN SD & HD
India Women vs. England Women 4th T20i 07/02/20 08:40 Sony Six SD & HD
Australia Women vs. India Women 5th T20i 08/02/20 06:40 Sony Six SD & HD
Australia Women vs. England Women 6th T20i 09/02/20 08:40 Sony Six SD & HD
Finals 12/02/20 08:10 Sony Six SD & HD
Cricket fanatic, Dreamer,
Eat, Sleep, Cricket, Repeat.
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now