Lisa Keightly targets World T20 final for England team

Lisa Keightly, the new head coach of the England women’s team, has her target crystal clear in her mind which is to play the final of next month’s T20 World Cup.

Lisa Keightly. Pic Credits: ECB
Lisa Keightly. Pic Credits: ECB

Former Australian cricketer, Keightly was handed over the reins of the team last year in the month of October after Mark Robinson’s exit. The 48-year-old has a vast coaching experience under her belt having previously coached Australia, Perth Scorchers and New South Wales Breakers in her country’s Big Bash League.

The T20 World Cup gets underway on February 21 and seems to have a tough task at her hand. The England team is reeling with the loss of experienced players with Sarah Taylor, Jenny Gun and Laura Marsh hanging their boots last year. The team is still coping with the heartbreaking loss to Australia in the Ashes tournament.

“I’m planning to be in the final and I know the players are planning on being in the final,” she said. “Working at speed is something I’m used to. Obviously, internationally, it’s another step up but I think I’m pretty fortunate. I know the women’s game really well and I know a lot of the teams really well and I know the England players pretty well”, she said.

Of the six women’s T20 World Cups that have been held till now, England has reached four finals. They won the inaugural competition in 2009 and were runners up behind Australia in the last edition.

All set for the mega T20 event, England will definitely be hoping for a change in fortunes and looking to turn the tables under the able guidance of Keightly.

Cricket fanatic, Dreamer,
Eat, Sleep, Cricket, Repeat.
Also Read:  Indian camp fears of Mandhana's Injury in T20 World cup against Australia
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here