Can India gift World Cup Trophy to captain Harmanpreet Kaur on her birthday?

India had an easy way into the final, courtesy the heavy showers on Thursday at Sydney during the semi-final against England. The match was abandoned without a ball being bowled, and the Women in Blue who topped the Group A made it to their first-ever World T20 final.

Prior to this, India has reached the semi-finals in 2009, 2010 and 2018. In a group boasting of Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh, India emerged invincible.

India captain Harmanpreet Kaur, who has featured in all the World T20s since 2009 will have her parents coming all the way from Moga, a small town in Punjab, as they will be joining the team on Sunday at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Hailing from Monga, Punjab, Harmanpreet Kaur was welcomed by her family. (Source: Express Photo by Gurmeet Singh)
Hailing from Monga, Punjab, Harmanpreet Kaur was welcomed by her family. (Source: Express Photo by Gurmeet Singh)

“My parents were here at Sydney and they wanted to see today’s game but unfortunately they didn’t get to watch. It was the first time they were going to watch me play cricket since my dad did when I was in school, and my mother has never watched me play cricket. It means a lot because from day one I wanted them to watch me playing and today I got this opportunity. They have come here to watch all of us playing, and I hope we get all support from all the parents and try to win this tournament,” averred Kaur.

The parents of the skipper will be in Australia to watch the Women in Blue take on the defending champions Australia on March 8. The day is special for Indian team, especially Harmanpreet, as she will celebrate her 31st birthday on Sunday.

Also Read:  "Indian batters need to work on converting ones into two's," says Jaya Sharma

Harmanpreet concluded by saying, “We were hoping we’d get there because everybody’s feeling very positive about women’s cricket at the moment. We’ll get a lot of attention back home because everyone wants us to play good cricket and they’re expecting us to do well. We will try to give our best. If we win, definitely we’ll get a lot of attention and a lot of love from back home. Hopefully, as we got in the 2017 World Cup Final, we’ll get a very good day for women’s cricket.”

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here