Sophie Molineux likely to replace Ellyse Perry in the semi-final against South Africa

On March 3, Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry was ruled out of the Women’s World T20 after she suffered from a hamstring injury in the do or die match against New Zealand.

Ellyse Perry injured herself while fielding during New Zealand clash
Ellyse Perry injured herself while fielding during New Zealand clash

Perry’s loss from the side has burnt a big hole in Australia’s pocket and it will be very important for the defending champions to find a like to like replacement in the playing 11.

As per Cricket Australia, 22-year old Sophie Molineux, an all-rounder from Victoria is poised to replace Ellyse Perry. Though Molineux is not the exact replacement for Perry, she is likely to make the cut for the semi-final against South Africa on Thursday.

Molineux is a slow left-arm orthodox spinner and a southpaw. She is still in a nascent stage of her T20 career having played just 19 games so far. She was last seen in the T20 tri-series (India, Australia and England) held in Australia just before the Women’s World T20. Molineux featured in a match against England and was the pick of the bowlers scalping 3-19 in her four overs. The Victorian was also adjudged the Player of the Match for her brilliant bowling performance in the same match.

Sophie Molineux
Sophie Molineux

So far, in this World T20, she was not in the playing 11, and bringing her in the side directly for the semi-final can be a gamble for Meg Lanning and co. Click To Tweet

If we look at the positives of getting Molineux in the team, there are certainly some. In the World T20 so far, the slow left-arm bowlers have had a good time with the ball, with the likes of Australia’s Jess Jonassen, India’s Rajeshwari Gayakwad and Radha Yadav, and England’s Sophie Ecclestone, to name a few, among wickets. Also, the fact that the Aussies will take on Proteas in the semi-final will be the perfect opportunity for the 22-year old to set her foot in the tournament.

Also Read:  Sophie Molineux suffers ACL injury in left knee during WBBL Match

The South African team is dominated by right-hand batters and having a slow left-arm bowler in the side can do a world of good to the hosts. Jonassen (six wickets in four matches) who has been bowling well will also find an able ally in Molineux to restrict the opposition from scoring freely.

Apart from her bowling, Sophie will be expected to contribute with the bat as well, as she will probably have to fill the big shoes of Ellyse, who has been a true match-winner for Australia.

Molineux is pitted against offie Molly Strano and fast bowling all-rounder Delissa Kimmince. Kimmince seems to be a better replacement for Perry, since she bowls medium pace and is handy with the bat in the middle order. With 39 T20Is, the 30-year old has more experience than her younger counterpart. Let’s see who gets a chance to feature in the semi-final against South Africa on Thursday at the SCG.

News Source: Laura Jolly for cricket.com.au

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here