“It does feel bad not reaching the fifty, but my team’s win is more vital,” says Shafali Verma

India’s powerhouse Shafali Verma is the leading run-scorer with her score of 161 for the Indian team and is third overall, behind England’s Natalie Sciver (202 Runs) and Heather Knight (193 Runs). The young wonder-girl from Rotak has baffled the world with her brilliant performance in the World Cup.

Shafali Verma with Player of the Match Award. Pic Credits: ICC
Shafali Verma with Player of the Match Award. Pic Credits: ICC

The teenager is above all having the highest strike-rate of 161. Not only that, but she is also the top six-hitter of the tournament. In just four innings of the ongoing world cup, Shafali has managed to grab world attention.

However, even after being a leader in scoring and hitting sixes, Verma has not yet managed to touch a half-century in any of the four matches played. Her best score so far at the World Cup game against Sri Lanka where she hit 47 runs in 34 balls.

Prior to Sri Lanka’s match, Shafali had scored 46 against New Zealand, 39 against Bangladesh, and 29 against Australia in the tournament.

On missing a 50 time and again, the star opener shared her feelings. In a short interview with  International Cricket Council’s insider Ridhima Pathak, Shafali states that she does feel bad about not reaching the half-century mark, but a “team win is much more important than a personal milestone”. Click To Tweet

“Yes, it does feel bad (not reaching the fifty), but for me, my team’s win is more vital; therefore, I’m happy. My team’s win is equal to my fifty, and I will try to perform much better in the upcoming games for my nation,” Shafali said.

On Team India’s unbeaten journey in the competition and overall performance, Shafali said: “Feeling good, bowlers are performing well, so do batters, the atmosphere of the team is tremendous.”

Also Read:  India's ODI and T20I Squad against Australia declared, Shreyanka Patil and Saika Ishaque earn maiden call-ups

After winning all four matches, the Indian team is at the top in Group A and has qualified for the semi-finals, which is scheduled to be played on Thursday (Mar 05) in Sydney.

Female Cricket is a digital news portal that aims to spread, share and celebrate the journey of our female cricketers around the world.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here