“It was very hard as I knew I was playing my last game”: Says Shashikala Siriwardena

Shashikala Siriwardena is completely satisfied to have taken 4 wickets in her career’s last match and leading team Sri Lanka to their first victory in ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020.

Emotional farewell for Shashikala Siriwardena
Emotional farewell for Shashikala Siriwardena. Pic Credits: ICC

Siriwardena’s stunning performance in her final International match played a crucial role in their 9 wicket victory over Bangladesh and also made her the deserving Player of the match. Siriwardena, who has had a 17-year long career, announced her retirement with her country’s exit from the tournament. She showed her bowling skills for the last time on the field with her 4 for 16. It was one of the most convincing matches for her.

Seeing their former captain pick up the Player of the Match award was an emotional moment for Sri Lanka after their first win, but Siriwardena says the key to her match-winning performance was treating it like any other game. It was an emotional moment for team Sri Lanka as the veteran bid adieu to this sport and thanked friends and family members who have played a very crucial role in her journey so far.

“It was very hard as I knew I was playing my last game,” said Siriwardena.

“I was kind of nervous knowing I would be wearing national colors for the last time. It was pretty emotional, but I told myself it wasn’t the time to get emotional.

“I knew my contribution would be important so I told myself to not think about my retirement until the match ended. I really love to perform, but the main thing was getting the win for the team.

“We knew we couldn’t go without a win. We knew we had the skill and the potential to be in the top four.

“I’m truly satisfied that I did something to help my country. I’ll miss being with these girls. I have spent more time with this team than with my family.” Click To Tweet

Also Read:  Salma Khatun - Captain of Bangladesh Women's Cricket Team

Bangladesh who lost all the 4 games in league rounds stands fifth in the Group A table.

Due to poor batting performance, they lost against New Zealand in Melbourne. Bangladesh could only make 74 runs, handing away an effortless win to New Zealand by 17 runs.

But despite losing their matches in Australia, skipper Salma Khatun is confident that playing the world’s best Down Under will hold her side in good momentum for future tournaments.

Salma Khatun also emphasized on the importance of playing the top-ranked teams in order to improve the game.

“The more we play with them, the more we’ll improve. That’s the key for us.

Salma also mentioned about the fielding standards and that it has to improve if Bangladesh wants to compete with top-ranked sides.

“This experience will help us to move forward. The most important things we need to improve on are our power cricket and level of fitness. Click To Tweet

“Our fitness is the main thing that will help us improve our skills and performance.

Lastly, Salma was in all-praises for young Murshida Khatun who was playing her maiden World Cup tournament. Here’s what she had to say:

Murshida Khatun will be a future star of women’s cricket. The more she plays, the more she will improve too.”

Murshida Khatun. Women's T20 World Cup 2020
Murshida Khatun. Women’s T20 World Cup 2020. Pic Credits: Getty Images

Female Cricket is a digital news portal that aims to spread, share and celebrate the journey of our female cricketers around the world.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here