Summary: Match 6 – 2 in a row for India after defeating Bangladesh by 18 Runs in T20 World Cup 2020

A clinical performance by India against Bangladesh on Monday at the WACA brings them back to the top of the table, winning two out of two games. Early in the day, Bangladesh won the toss and elected to field first.

Indian vs Bangladesh Women's Cricket team
Indian vs Bangladesh Women’s Cricket team. Pic Credits: ICC

The Bangladeshis put up a decent show with the ball as they managed to restrict the Indians to 142-6 in 20 overs. In the absence of southpaw Smriti Mandhana, who was down with a viral fever, the Women in Blue had a new opening pair in wicket-keeper Taniya Bhatia and regular opener Shafali Verma to start the proceedings. Though Bhatia (2) could not stay in the middle for long, the swashbuckling Verma ensured that India got off to a flying start.

The 16-year old muscled a 17-ball 39 smashing two boundaries and four sixes to set the tone of the innings. Mumbai bat Jemimah Rodrigues showed her class yet again as she scored a patient 34 (37). Towards the end, another 16-year old Richa Ghosh (14) and her senior partner Veda Krishnamurthy (20 not out) took the team past the 140-run mark. Among the wickets were skipper Salma Khatun and Panna Ghosh, each accounting for two dismissals.

Chasing 143, Bangladesh did manage to put up a good show with the bat as in the end they fell short of just 18 runs. Opening bat Murshida Khatun (30) and wicket-keeper Nigar Sultana (35) played well to take their team to a commanding position. However, the middle order failed to click as the batters, after getting to good starts were sent packing by a strong Indian bowling attack. Just like the last match against Australia, for the Women in Blue, the pick of the bowlers was the leggie Poonam Yadav, who struck with 3-18 in her four overs. The pace duo of Shikha Pandey (2-14) and Arundhati Reddy (2-33) gave Yadav good support to reduce their Asian counterparts to 124-8 in 20 overs.

Also Read:  Detailed Analysis of Thailand squad for Women’s T20 World Cup 2020

Having lost to Bangladesh in the Asia Cup finals in 2018, the Indians redeemed themselves by winning the match against the Bangla tigresses quite comprehensively.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here