Rachel Andrew scores first T20I Century, Selina Solman picked first fifer for Vanuatu

Skipper Selina Solman and Rachel Andrew script history for Vanuatu in the Women’s T20I Pacific Cup 2024.

In the ongoing Women’s T20I Pacific Cup 2024, which commenced on January 17th and concludes on January 21st, six teams are battling it out for the championship. The tournament has witnessed numerous outstanding performances, but none more historic than the achievements of Vanuatu’s captain, Selina Solman, and opener Rachel Andrew.

Rachel Andrew, Selina Solman.
L-R: Rachel Andrew and Selina Solman. PC: X

Rachel Andrew Becomes First Vanuatu Woman to Score T20I Century

Rachel Andrew.
Rachel Andrew. PC: X

During a crucial match against the Cook Islands, skipper Selina Solman won the toss and elected to field first. Vanuatu’s opening batters got off to a solid start, but it was Rachel Andrew who stole the show by becoming the first woman from Vanuatu to score a century in the T20I format. Her outstanding innings of 106 runs from just 68 balls, at an impressive strike rate of 155.9, included 12 boundaries. Rachel Andrew’s unbeaten knock propelled Vanuatu to a formidable total of 177/1, supported by a partnership of 160 runs for the second wicket alongside Nasimana Navaika (47 off 43 balls).

Skipper Selina Solman’s Five-Wicket Haul Leads Vanuatu to Victory

Selina Solman
Selina Solman. PC: X

In the bowling department, it was skipper Selina Solman who shone brightly. She became the first woman from Vanuatu to claim a five-wicket haul in the T20I format, returning exceptional match figures of 5 wickets for just 9 runs in her four overs. Nasimana Navaika also played a crucial role, taking 3 wickets for just 7 runs in her four overs. Their combined efforts restricted the Cook Islands to a mere 57/9, securing a resounding 120-run victory for Vanuatu.

Also Read:  All you need to know about ICC WT20 World Cup Qualifiers 2024 | Squad, Schedule, Venue, Live Streaming

Not only did Rachel Andrew’s unbeaten century make her the highest individual scorer for Vanuatu, both for men and women in the T20I format, surpassing Patrick Matautaava’s 103, but it also solidified her place at the top of the list. She now stands as the only woman on the list, overshadowing the previous best individual score of 87 by Valenta Langiatu against Fiji Women in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup East Asia Pacific Region Qualifier in September 2023, where she scored at an impressive strike rate of 152.63.

Selina Solman and Rachel Andrew’s remarkable performances for Vanuatu have etched their names in Vanuatu’s cricket history. Their contributions have not only propelled their team to victory but have also set new benchmarks for women’s cricket in Vanuatu. As the Women’s T20I Pacific Cup 2024 continues, all eyes will be on these extraordinary individuals as they continue to leave a lasting impact on the sport.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here