Jhulan Goswami makes 3 big disclosures regarding Women’s Premier League

The inaugural edition of what was speculated to be the Women’s Indian Premier League (W-IPL) is officially declared as the ‘Women’s Premier League’ (WPL). Following team base auctions on the 25th of January, former skipper, Jhulan Goswami appeared on a couple of Jio platforms and her revealing statements from the shows have been making round.

Jhulan Goswami. PC: Getty Images
Jhulan Goswami. PC: Getty Images

Of the 5 successful bidders at the auction, a majority (3) of them are those who already own a team in the Men’s Indian Premier League (IPL); Mumbai Indians, Delhi Capitals, and Royal Challengers Bangalore. Excluding the couple newly added teams to the IPL, Gujarat Titans and Lucknow Super Giants, every remaining team filed technical bids on the 23rd of January, while 4-time trophy winners, Chennai Super Kings in a last-minute u-turn pulled out sighting, “strategic business call” as the reason behind.

While Chennai Super Kings’ received an instant outburst post their 11th-hour u-turn, Jhulan Goswami on a Jio Cinema show revealed that players were willing to don the Chennai Super Kings’ yellow but with them not in the scheme of things, she believes players have made the switch to Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Red.

Quoting Jhulan Goswami, “A lot of players were asking a few days before on which team they should go for. Many were of the idea to go to CSK and participate for them. But unfortunately, those who were thinking for CSK, now they will be shifted to RCB.”

While Royal Challengers Sports Private Limited’s readiness for the team base auctions was reflected in chairman, Mr. Prathmesh Mishra stating, “At the core of Diageo, is the value of gender inclusivity that embraces diversity in the broadest sense. We held back all our investments in overseas teams to own a team”, Jhulan further went on to make a 2nd big disclosure in stating their readiness for the upcoming, player auction.

Also Read:  18-year-old Richa Ghosh eyeing her maiden Women's World Cup tournament

Quoting Jhulan Goswami, “RCB have been planning for so many days because I know a few people doing the scouting in the domestic tournament. So they have some idea about women’s cricket and which domestic players perform.”

A sneak peek of the same was seen in Royal Challengers Bangalore head coach for the men’s team, Mike Hesson’s Instagram post where he was at the venue, watching a women’s domestic game.

Jhulan Goswami’s 3rd and the final big reveal was on her future in the tournament. Media reports suggested she’ll be coming out of her retirement to take part in the tournament, but in an upsetting call, Jhulan said, she feels “its a bit late now” and with that said, she’s put an end to all the rising speculations.

Quoting Jhulan, “I think it’s a bit late now. If it had happened two years ago, I would have made it. I think it’s too late for me.”

Yet another former cricketer, Mithali Raj’s return to the game is being speculated with participation in the tournament, but an official comment on this is still awaited from Raj. To eye ahead is the players’ auction and the inaugural edition of the WPL that’s reportedly scheduled to be played from the 4th to the 26th of March on the back off a couple of ICC Women’s Twenty20 (T20) World Cup.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here