Women’s National Cricket League (WNCL) starts 17th December 2021

With the seventh edition of Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) done and dusted, the Australian women’s cricket will look to Women’s National Cricket League (WNCL), a 50-pver domestic tournament that starts on December 17. A total of seven teams will be seen locking horns against each other in a round robin format through the course of the tournament.

ACT Meteors in WNCL in 2021-22. PC: cricket.com.au
ACT Meteors in WNCL in 2021-22. PC: cricket.com.au

While the Australian women cricketers like Alyssa Healy and Rachael Haynes will feature in the WNCL, some players like Lauren Cheatle and Rachael Trenaman will miss the complete tournament due to injuries. Beth Mooney and Meg Lanning will not be available for the opening game, while Sammy-Jo Johnson will join her team in the latter part of the tournament.

Australia’s opening bat and wicket-keeper Healy revealed to cricket.com.au last week that she had struggled with her elbow during the latter part of the WBBL, which did not allow her to bat freely. The swashbuckling batter muscled 94 not out against Perth Scorchers on October 31 but after that managed a top score of just 17 from the following seven innings.

Healy, who will lead NSW (New South Wales) Breakers in WNCL said, “It was just probably noticeable in the backend of the WBBL in some technique that I was using, just simply because I was having to having to try and change it on the run to try and grip about the bat the best way I could. I was just trying to get it done, and ultimately, I wasn’t able to get it done. But a couple of weeks off and a really good management plan has really helped get some strength back. I’m just trying to get that right, it is a huge six months in the new year of cricket and some really important cricket that I want to be a part of, so I’m just managing that at the moment.”

She added, “Captaining the Breakers is something that I really cherish and I don’t want to let any opportunity go there, so I’m going to do my best to get up for (those games this) week and hopefully be a part of one if not two (matches).”

Also Read:  Women's National Cricket League 2021-22 Revised Fixtures Announced

Australia’s star all-rounder Ashleigh Gardner will also be a part of NSW Breakers and play under the leadership of Healy. NSW Breakers’ coach Gavan Twining has shown a lot of confidence in boh, Healy and Gardner. He said, “They’re class players … Alyssa definitely kept it quiet that she had that elbow injury. Once she can get that injury right, you’ll see the best of her leading into the Ashes. I think the same with Ash, she’d been in lockdown and she’d been away from home for a long time but she looks really refreshed over the last couple of days and keen to get stuck into it on December 17.”

Quotes are sourced from cricket.com.au

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here