South Africa ends India’s World Cup Hopes in a Thriller at Christchurch

On Sunday, in the 28th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, South Africa were chasing 275 in 50 overs against India at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch.

South Africa beat India by 3 Wickets in a thriller. PC: ICC/Getty Images
South Africa beat India by 3 Wickets in a thriller. PC: ICC/Getty Images

South Africa did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their opening batter Lizelle Lee (6 runs off 15 balls) in the fifth over of the innings, thanks to Harmanpreet Kaur, who had a shy at the stumps to see the back of Lee. After the departure of Lee, Lara Goodall joined hands with Laura Wolvaardt to stitch a 125-run partnership to set the base for the run chase. However, after a scintillating partnership, both the batters fell in quick succession. Goodall (49 runs off 69 balls) and Wolvaardt (80 runs off 79 balls) perished in quick succession. In the process, Wolvaardt became the leading run-getter in this World Cup with 433 runs. Later Mignon du Preez carried on from where Goodall and Wolvaardt had left and scored a brilliant 52 not out off 63 balls to see her side home and also record the second-highest successful run chase in the history of Women’s World Cups. Captain Sune Luus (22 runs off 27 balls), Marizanne Kapp (32 runs off 30 balls) and Chloe Tryon (17 runs off 9 balls) too played their part in the run chase.

Match Winning knock of 52 Runs was played Mignon Du Preez ends India's World Cup Hopes. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Match Winning knock of 52 Runs was played Mignon Du Preez ends India’s World Cup Hopes. PC: ICC/Getty Images

For India, Rajeshwari Gayakwad and Harmanpreet Kaur were the top performers with the ball as they scalped 2-61 and 2-42 respectively. India used six bowlers, out of which four bowlers, including Meghna Singh, Pooja Vastrakar, Deepti Sharma and Sneh Rana went wicket-less. India clearly missed the services of their veteran bowler Jhulan Goswami who was not a part of the playing XI because of a side strain. India fielded well in patches, thanks to Harmanpreet Kaur, who was involved in three run-outs and also a catch, but of a no-ball. Smriti Mandhana dropped Mignon du Preez on 32 at long on in the 45th over and it was du Preez who steered South Africa home in the end.

South Africa’s Mignon du Preez won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right-handed middle-order batter mustered 52 not out off 63 balls to lead the run chase from the front.

Also Read:  What advice would Mithali Raj give to Young Indian Players ahead of World Cup?

With this win, South Africa registered their fifth win in this World Cup. They are among the top four teams to qualify for the semi-finals, alongside Australia, England and West Indies. On the other hand, India have ended their World Cup campaign with three wins from seven matches. India, who were the runners up in the 2017 World Cup have not qualified for the semi-finals in this edition of the tournament.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here