Hannah Rowe’s 5 Wicket Haul guides New Zealand to 71-Run Win over Pakistan

On Saturday, in the 26th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Pakistan were chasing 266 in 50 overs against New Zealand at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch.

Suzie Bates' Century help New Zealand set 266 target for Pakistan . PC: ICC/Getty Images
Suzie Bates’ Century help New Zealand set 266 target for Pakistan . PC: ICC/Getty Images

Pakistan got off to a steady start thanks to the opening pair of Muneeba Ali and Sidra Ameen (14 runs off 21 balls). The duo stitched a 39 run partnership in 9.1 overs. After the departure of Ameen, Ali (29 runs off 45 balls) fell in the successive over. Omaima Sohail started off well with 14 runs off 26 balls however she failed to convert the start into a big score. Later, captain Bismah Maroof (38 runs off 66 balls) and Nida Dar joined hands to pile up 82 runs for the fourth wicket. Dar top-scored with a brilliant 50 off 53 balls to give some hope to Pakistan. She could not find able allies and in the end Pakistan could manage to score 9-194 in 50 overs as they fell short of 71 runs.

Hannah Rowe's 5 Wicket Haul guides New Zealand to 71-Run Win over Pakistan. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Hannah Rowe’s 5 Wicket Haul guides New Zealand to 71-Run Win over Pakistan. PC: ICC/Getty Images

For New Zealand the right arm seamer Hannah Rowe wreaked havoc with the ball as she scalped 5-55 in 10 overs, including one maiden. Rowe opened the bowling with Jess Kerr and bowled well with the new ball. She was well supported by Frances Mackay who picked up 2-29 in 10 overs including one maiden. Rosemary Mair, who played her first match of this World Cup bagged 1-29 in eight overs while the leg spinner Amelia Kerr chipped in with 1-36 in 10 overs. New Zealand used as many as six bowlers, out of which two, including Jess Kerr and Amy Satterthwaite went wicket-less.

New Zealand’s Suzie Bates won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right-handed opening batter muscled 126 runs off 135 balls and top scored for the team.

Also Read:  All you need to know about Bangladesh' Squad for 2022 Women's Cricket World Cup

With this win, New Zealand registered their third win in this World Cup. On the other hand, Pakistan have managed to win just one out of their seven matches in the tournament.

New Zealand and Pakistan have completed all their seven matches in the league. After this match, in the points table, New Zealand with six points are placed at number six position while Pakistan is slated at the number eight position, which is the last, with two points.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here