Pakistan Record their First World Cup 2022 Win, beat West Indies by 8 Wickets

On Monday, in the 20th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Pakistan were chasing 90 in 20 overs against West Indies in a rain-curtailed affair.

Pakistan beat West Indies by 8 Wickets at Seddon Park in a rain-curtailed match. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Pakistan beat West Indies by 8 Wickets at Seddon Park in a rain-curtailed match. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Pakistan started off the run chase on a positive note. Muneeba Ali, who opened the batting, played her first match of the World Cup and went on to score 37 runs off 43 balls. The left-handed batter led the run chase from the front and laid a solid foundation. Her opening partner Sidra Ameen, who scored a century in her last match against Bangladesh, missed out on scoring big against the West Indies as she was sent packing for eight runs off 15 balls. Later, captain Bismah Maroof (20 not out off 29 balls) and Omaima Sohail (22 not out off 27 balls) took on from where the openers had left and steered Pakistan to a comfortable eight-wicket win as they chased down the target in 18.5 overs. In the process, Maroof became the leading run-getter for Pakistan in Women’s Cricket World Cup (339 runs in 18 matches).

For West Indies, the right arm leg spinner Afy Fletcher and right arm seamer Shakera Selma were the wicket-takers as they struck with 1-23 and 1-15 respectively. The other four bowlers used by West Indies, including Hayley Matthews, Deandra Dottin, Chinelle Henry, and Anisa Mohammed went wicket-less. It was a difficult task for bowlers to defend 90 runs and their ordinary fielding did not help the cause.

Also Read:  Pakistan Records 18th Consecutive Loss in Women's ODI World Cup

Pakistan’s Nida Dar won the player of the match for her match-winning bowling performance. The right arm-off spinner picked up 4-10 in four overs, registering her career-best figures and also best bowling figures for Pakistan in a Women’s Cricket World Cup.

With this win, Pakistan have won their first match in this World Cup out of the five matches that they have played so far. This is Pakistan’s first win in the Women’s Cricket World Cup since 2009 as they broke their 18-match losing streak against West Indies today. This is also their first ODI win in New Zealand. West Indies, on the other hand, have three wins in six games.

Pakistan and West Indies will play their next fixtures on March 24 against England and South Africa respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here