Shemaine Campbelle’s Fifty help West Indies put 140 Runs against Bangladesh

On Friday, Bangladesh and West Indies locked horns against each other in the 17th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. Bangladesh won the toss and elected to bowl.

Shemaine Campbelle's Fifty help West Indies put 140 Runs against Bangladesh. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Shemaine Campbelle’s Fifty help West Indies put 140 Runs against Bangladesh. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Batting first, West Indies started off on a steady note, thanks to their opening pair of Deandra Dottin (17 runs off 20 balls) and Hayley Matthews, who piled up 29 runs in 8.4 overs, before Dottin was sent packing by Jahanara Alam. After the fall of the first wicket, West Indies lost their next six wickets for just 41 runs as they were struggling at 7-70 in 5.3 overs. In the process, Dottin’s opening partner Hayley Matthews scored 18 runs off 43 balls. Towards the end, Afy Fletcher made some useful contributions with the bat as she mustered 17 runs off 28 balls. For West Indies, wicket-keeper Shemaine Campbelle was the top performer with the bat as she scored an unbeaten 53 off 107 balls, her second half-century of this World Cup, to help West Indies post a respectable score on board. She was the lone warrior in the fight who batted for close to 35 overs. At the end of 50 overs, West Indies posted 9-140.

For Bangladesh, the spin twins of Nahida Akter and Salma Khatun were the pick of the bowlers as they scalped 2-23 each in their respective 10 overs. Akter and Khatun bowled as many as three maiden overs apiece to restrict the free flowing West Indian batting. Apart from Akter and Khatun, Jahanara Alam, who opened the bowling for Bangladesh, Rumana Ahmed and Ritu Moni were the other wicket-takers for Bangladesh as they struck with one wicket each. Left arm seamer Fariha Trisna and leg spinner Fahima Khatun, who was the player of the match in her last outing against Pakistan, went wicket-less. Bangladesh bowlers did a great job to restrict West Indies to a modest score of 140. They fielded well in patches, however had three dropped catches and one missed stumping at the end of the innings.

West Indies have set a target of 141 for Bangladesh. Can Bangladesh chase down the target and register their second straight win of their World Cup campaign? Or will the West Indies have the last laugh? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Which 8 Australian Cricketers could make their Women’s ODI World Cup Debut this year?

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here