South Africa beat New Zealand for the First Time in World Cup, Scripts Historic Win

On Thursday, in the 16th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, South Africa were chasing 229 in 50 overs against New Zealand.

Shabnim Ismail and Ayabonga Khaka restrict New Zealand to just 228 Runs. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Shabnim Ismail and Ayabonga Khaka restrict New Zealand to just 228 Runs. PC: ICC/Getty Images

South Africa started off the run chase on a steady note as the opening pair of Lizelle Lee (17 runs off 23 balls) and Laura Wolvaardt put together 25 runs in 5.4 overs before Lee was run out while trying to run a three. Later, Tazmin Brits (18 runs off 38 balls) joined hands with Wolvaardt to carry on with the innings and stitched a crucial 48-run partnership for the second wicket. After the departure of Brits, captain Sune Luus and Wolvaardt piled up 88 runs for the third wicket to take the attack to the opposition and strengthen South Africa’s chances in the run chase. This was the highest third-wicket partnership for South Africa against New Zealand in women’s ODIs. However, out of nowhere, New Zealand picked up two quick wickets thanks to Amelia Kerr who sent Wolvaardt (67 runs off 94 balls) and Mignon du Preez (1 run off 5 balls) packing in her two consecutive overs. Luus also fell in quick succession and suddenly South Africa were struggling at 5-170 with 59 runs to get in as many balls. South Africa’s star all-rounder Marizanne Kapp (34 not out off 35 balls) then ensured that there were no more hiccups as she led her team to a two-wicket win with just three balls to spare in the nail biting thriller.

Marizanne Kapp seals another thriller with her all-round performance. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Marizanne Kapp seals another thriller with her all-round performance. PC: ICC/Getty Images

For New Zealand, the right arm leg spinner Amelia Kerr was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-50 in her 10 overs, including one maiden, which was also her best bowling figure to date against South Africa in ODIs. Off-spinner Frances Mackay struck with 2-49 in 8.3 overs with Hannah Rowe and Sophie Devine chipping in with one wicket apiece.

South Africa’s Marizanne Kapp won the player of the match for her match-winning all-round performance. The right arm seamer struck with 2-44 in 10 overs and with the bat she mustered an unbeaten 34 of 35 balls.

Also Read:  Why should we look forward to the 2023 Women's Cricket World Cup?

With this win, South Africa have registered their fourth straight win in their World Cup campaign, while New Zealand have won two out of their five matches in the tournament so far. This was also South Africa’s first win against New Zealand in a Women’s Cricket World Cup.

New Zealand and South Africa will play their next fixtures on March 20 against England and March 22 against Australia respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here