Deandra Dottin defends 6 Runs in Final Over to Script Historic World Cup Victory

In the World Cup opener between New Zealand and West Indies, the hosts were chasing a respectable score of 260 in 50 overs at the Bay Oval in Mount Maunganui on Tuesday. 260 was going to be the highest successful run chase at a Women’s Cricket World Cup.

Deandra Dottin defends 6 Runs in Final Over to Script Historic World Cup Victory

The White Ferns did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their prolific opening batter, Suzie Bates, in an unfortunate run-out. Chinelle Henry the bowler ran out Bates at the bowling end in just the fourth over of the run chase. After the departure of Bates, Amelia Kerr walked in at number three. Kerr, who won the player of the series in the recently concluded India-New Zealand series, is in red hot form. However, the West Indians did not allow her to score big as she was sent packing for 13 runs off 19 balls. With two out of their top four back in the hut, captain Sophie Devine and southpaw Amy Satterthwaite (31 runs off 56 balls) came together and stitched a 76-run partnership to consolidate the innings. Devine’s (108 runs off 127 balls) century went in vain as New Zealand failed to cross the line by just three runs. Towards the end, Katey Martin (44 runs off 47 balls) and Jess Kerr (25 runs off 21 balls) fought hard, however, the duo could not see their side home. White Ferns were bowled out for 256 in 49.5 overs.

West Indies dropped as many as five catches. The New Zealand captain was dropped twice, while Amy Satterthwaite, Katey Martin and Jess Kerr were all dropped once. Despite so many missed chances, West Indies, in the end, managed to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat.

For West Indies, right arm off spinner Hayley Matthews was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-41 in her 10 overs. Early in the day, she muscled a power-packed century to take her side past the 250 run mark. Apart from Matthews, Anisa Mohammed, another right arm off spinner chipped in with 2-60 in her 10 overs. The pace twins of Chinelle Henry and Shakera Selma struck with one wicket apiece. However, the star bowler for West Indies was Deandra Dottin, who bowled only the final over of the match. The right arm medium pacer had six runs to defend. She bowled exceedingly well to concede just two runs in five balls and picked up two important wickets and accounted for one run out.

Hayley Matthews won the player of the match for her all-round contributions. New Zealand will take on Bangladesh on March 7, while West Indies will lock horns against England on March 9.

Also Read:  All you need to know about South Africa’s Squad for 2022 Women’s Cricket World Cup

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here