What advice would Mithali Raj give to Young Indian Players ahead of World Cup?

As team India’s Captain Mithali Raj is all set for her one final run at the ICC Women’s World Cup 2022, she talks about the team’s preparation, the New Zealand series and the future of team India post her retirement.

2021 Women's Cricket World Cup 2021
Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022. Pic Credits: ICC

Speaking about the recently concluded ODI series against New Zealand which team India lost 4-1. Mithali Raj after the victory in the final ODI said to the media, “We have improved over the last few games we have played, that’s a good sign before the World Cup. Was important to have the right preparation before the big tournament. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get the camps in India due to the rising Omicron cases.”

When asked about her opinion about the side post her retirement, Mithali said, “When I retire after this tournament, I will see that the squad is far stronger with the upcoming new talent.”

As team India has seen a lot of new faces come into the side over the last couple of years, Mithali Raj named 4 players in the world cup squad who has huge potential. As reported by ICC, Mithali said, “The talent that we’ve got in the last year, we’ve tried some young talent in the squad, and most of them have shown that they can play at this level like Richa Ghosh, Shafali Verma, we have Meghna Singh in the seamers, Pooja Vastrakar. They all have been given good game time and those series have helped them and me as a captain to find out where they fit in into the composition of the team.”

Also Read:  Top 5 Women Cricket Players of all times

When asked about the advice she gives to the young women of Indian Cricket, she says “The only advice I would tell the young players is to enjoy the big stage because if you pile up the pressure you may not be playing the best that the team and you would want to do in the World Cup.”

As she makes her record 6th appearance in the ICC Women’s World Cup 2022, Mithali Raj is ready to showcase her best for one last time on the international stage. Team India begin their campaign at the 2022 Women’s World Cup against arch-rivals Pakistan on Saturday, March 6th at Mount Maunganui.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Dhanush Lavanya

I’m a Content Writer, Podcaster and Presenter. I’ve written 100+ articles across various sports and produced 50+ Podcast episodes. You can find my podcast “The Off Stump” on Spotify.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here