Pakistan announces Squad for Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022, Bismah returns as Captain

Pakistan Cricket Board on 24th January 2022 announced the 15 member Pakistan Women’s squad for the upcoming Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022 to be played in New Zealand from 4th March.

Pakistan Women will compete in 33 matches - both domestic and international - in the 2021-22 home season. PC: ESPN Cricinfo
Pakistan Women will compete in 33 matches – both domestic and international – in the 2021-22 home season. PC: ESPN Cricinfo

Bismah Maroof to lead Pakistan in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022 in New Zealand. The batting all-rounder was on an indefinite break from cricket. She took a break for the birth of her first child. The 30-year-old new mother will be making her international comeback after two years gap at the World Cup.

Maroof said “It is a great honor for me to lead my country into another World Cup. I am thrilled to be back in action and do what I love and have dedicated my life to”.

A support person will accompany Maroof to take care of the newborn baby.

Maroof further elaborated the goal is to reach the semi-finals as she believes the team has the potential to pull it off. Her decision to come back has been well supported by PCB as she was gradually reintegrated into cricket activities as well as fitness sessions.

Nida Dar has been appointed her deputy. The 15 members Pakistani squad will kick off their final phase of preparation for the mega event with a 10-day camp in Lahore. With a 10-day mandatory quarantine period in New Zealand, the team will depart on February 8.

Gulam Fatima, Nahida Khan, batter Iram Javed, all-rounder Tuba Hassan, and Najiha Alvi were picked as the traveling reserves. Kainat Imtiaz and Sadia Iqbal missed out due to injuries.

Also Read:  Harmanpreet Kaur and Smriti Mandhana score Centuries in Record Partnership against Windies

The 50-over World Cup tournament is scheduled to start from March 4. In the round-robin league stage, Pakistan will begin their quest on March 6th against arch-rivals India at Bay Oval, Tauranga.

Pakistan Squad for Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Bismah Maroof (captain), Nida Dar (vice-captain), Aiman Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Ghulam Fatima, Javeria Khan, Muneeba Ali, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Omaima Sohail, Sidra Amin and Sidra Nawaz

Pakistan’s fixtures at ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022:

March 6: Pakistan v India at Bay Oval, Tauranga

March 8: Pakistan v Australia at Bay Oval, Tauranga

March 11: Pakistan v South Africa at Bay Oval, Tauranga

March 14: Pakistan v Bangladesh at Seddon Park, Hamilton

March 21: Pakistan v West Indies at Seddon Park, Hamilton

March 24: Pakistan v England at Hagley Oval, Christchurch

March 26: Pakistan v New Zealand at Hagley Oval, Christchurch

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here