‘Girl Gang’ by Gin Wigmore launched as the official anthem for Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

New Zealand singer and songwriter Gin Wigmore’s song ‘Girl Gang’ has been selected as the official song for the Women’s World Cup 2022.

Gin Wigmore. PCC: ICC
Gin Wigmore at the Launch. PCC: ICC

The pop-star is very happy seeing how things have worked in her favor.

“When you send a song out to the world you never really know what will happen. You do certainly have hopes for it. I guess I had thought it would make a great theme song for something. So when the ICC called, I was like heck yeah, that is so cool. I’m really thrilled. It’s so exciting,” Wigmore was quoted saying in an official release by ICC.

Girl Gang is a seminal track from the Kiwi pop star’s album named Ivory. The announcement was made on Wednesday, the 17th March at an event which was held at Mt Maunganui Beach. Wigmore, at the event, skydived down to the beach along with the Cricket World Cup 2022 Trophy.

“It is legit my biggest fear, but given what Girl Gang stands for, I figured I needed to follow through and take care of some bad gal business.”

A bunch of five female artists from non-music disciplines came together for this song. This piece was created out of five different creations by the female artists- among them was an esteemed tattooist, a cartoonist, and a skateboarder.

“You’ve gotta think really laterally on how to release music, and it seemed like something that had a longer life than just an album,” she said. The song Girl Gang celebrates women coming together to “fight against a society that so often pits us against each other and tears us down.”

Talking about the world cup, she said – “I was kind of the kid who sat over to the side on the bench drawing and writing.” “So this is actually going to be a really cool journey. I’m really excited about learning all about cricket and the World Cup. From what I’ve seen so far these women are amazing athletes,” she concluded.

Also Read:  Punam Raut disappointed after Selectors exclude her from India's World Cup Squad

The ICC Women’s World Cup 2022 is set to take place from March 4 to April 3 across six different venues in New Zealand.

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here