16-year-old girl from Sydney shatters record by becoming youngest to smash fifty in WBBL

A 16-year-old girl from Sydney shatters record by becoming youngest to smash fifty in WBBL

This is the story of Phoebe Litchfield, who at 16 years and 185 days has become the youngest in the history of the Women’s Big Bash League to hit a fifty. She made her debut for Sydney Thunder and while playing only her second game for the team, she helped her side beat the defending champions Brisbane Heat by playing a special knock. After the match, she drove back 250 km to join the school on Monday.

Brisbane Heat chose to bat and they started off well with Beth Mooney and skipper Kirby Short. Mooney made 35 and was bowled out by Suzie Bates while Grace Harris, their star batter was run-out. Jess Jonassen was in good form but eventually needed support to build innings. Maddy green’s catch was taken by Litchfield while bates taking another wicket in her account. Jonassen made an impact with her 42 off 34 balls but was run out by Litchfield and priest together. Bates was on top with 3/33 and Brisbane Heat managed just 150/9.
While chasing the target, Rachel Priest and Naomi Stalenberg gave Sydney Thunder a stunning opening, When Delisa Kimmince got rid of skipper Rachael Haynes, Litchfield joined Alex Blackwell. Blackwell, 36 years old is a consistent player for her side Australia and made her debut even when Litchfield wasn’t born.

Litchfield and Blackwell’s well-made partnership helped in building up the innings, the partnership grew in confidence and both players managed to hit boundaries quite consistently. Litchfield reached up her fifty with two boundaries off Johnson’s over. Blackwell ended the game in style with a big six but it was Litchfield who was the show-stopper for the day.

“Alex was just saying keep calm because I was getting a bit nervous and I put us in a bad position but managed to get us out of there. I can’t believe the weekend, I didn’t know I was playing and I’m just really happy to be here,” Litchfield told ESPNCricinfo.

This victory was Sydney Thunder’s account opener after they had lost to Sydney Sixers.

Also Read:  Preview: 37th Match- Sydney Sixers v/s Melbourne Renegades , Squads, Head-to-Head, Pitch, Probable Playing XI, Weather Report, Game Prediction, Fantasy Players

This story was originally published by NEWSNATION.IN

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here