“I didn’t touch my bat until a couple of days after Christmas,” Beth Mooney excited to be back again

There have been a lot of buildup for the ashes. The matches between England and Australia are to begin from January 20th. The excitement and anticipation for one of the biggest series to unfold. This is followed up with even more excitement as the world cup follows soon after. There are 2 brilliant teams at play and with these also come some very exciting players. One such player is Beth Mooney.

Beth Mooney scored a Century to help Australia beat India by 5 Wickets in 2nd ODI. PC: Getty Images
Beth Mooney scored a Century to help Australia beat India by 5 Wickets in 2nd ODI. PC: Getty Images

Beth Mooney is a 28-year-old Australian cricket player. She played her debut match in 2016 when Australia faced India in a T20I. She has since then risen to the ranks establishing herself as a talented player. She is currently the number one ranked T20I batter and in the top 10 in ODIs in the world by ICC rankings. She has hit 2 stunning T20I centuries and has an average of 43.45 in ODIS with 2 centuries and 9 half-centuries. She has shown her heroics even in the women’s big bash league and is the current leading run-scorer in the history of the tournament. In the latest edition of the WBBL, she was the highest run-getter scoring 528 runs, averaging 52.80 which aided her team to win this year’s championship.

Beth Mooney in a very short while has established herself as a very reliable and skilled batter for her national side. Australia will rely heavily on her performances to win games not only in the Ashes but also for the Women’s Cricket world cup.

Women's World Cup 2021 Trophy
Women’s World Cup 2022 Trophy

There was a slight concern with how she would perform as she has not played any game since November and will directly play in the highly competitive Ashes. However, she has another take on it.

Also Read:  Problem of Plenty for Australia’s Selectors ahead of Women's Ashes 2021-22

She says, “It’s been amazing actually, I got a bit more time off than I bargained for when those Queensland games got called off,” Mooney said to sportsrush.

“But that’s the way of the world and it was a really intense few months for me … the India series and Big Bash.”

“Packing up my kit for a little bit as well, I didn’t touch my bat until a couple of days after Christmas which was nice, but I still got a couple of weeks of training in before (flying to Adelaide).”

As for the upcoming Ashes, her confidence is soaring high. Here is what she said, “I feel really confident going into this series knowing I did all the work in the winter and had a good series against India and a pretty good WBBL campaign as well,” Mooney said.

“You want to be playing games and honing your skills out in the middle because that’s the best place to be, but it’s the way of the world.”

The Ashes start on 20th January a T20I played between the two teams.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here