Women’s Ashes 2021-22 Schedule Revised due to World Cup Quarantine Rules

A sudden surge in Covid-19 cases across the globe has forced countries to impose strict restrictions yet again. Adhering to the restrictions imposed in New Zealand ahead of the ICC Women’s World Cup in March that requires mandatory quarantine, Cricket Australia on Thursday announced a preponed schedule for Women’s Ashes. The competition which was initially scheduled to start from January 27 with the only test and end on February 19 has been shifted forward by a week and now begins on January 20 with the T20Is followed by the test and then the ODIs.

Women's Ashes 2021-22 Schedule Revised due to World Cup Quarantine Rules
Women’s Ashes 2021-22 Schedule Revised due to World Cup Quarantine Rules

Further, the report by cricket.com.au also confirmed that since Sydney has become a Coronavirus hotspot in the country, no matches would be played there, and instead the multi-format series would start at Adelaide Oval for three T20Is and then would move on to Manuka Oval in the Capital City of Canberra for the test and the first ODI, ending at the Junction Oval in Melbourne with the remaining two ODIs.

This revised schedule has been made to allow both the teams time to complete a 10-day quarantine before heading to New Zealand where they have to reach by mid-February following all the requirements as the two teams play two warm-up games in the week before the big tournament kicks off on March 4.

However, the visitors, England who plan to arrive in Australia this weekend for a 10-day camp, would be able to continue their intra-squad warm-up games that were announced when the English side released their 17-member main squad along with a 12 member England A squad for the Ashes last month. While the Aussies are expected to go into an isolation period before entering the camp just three days before the first T20I.

Also Read:  Heather Graham and Erin Burns to make their debut for Australia Women's tour of West Indies 2019

Confirming the changes, Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley said, “We’re grateful to all parties for their flexibility in ensuring that both Australia and England can travel to New Zealand with sufficient time to complete their mandatory quarantine period,”

“Regrettably, logistical considerations have meant that we have had to move two T20 games from North Sydney Oval, which has long been the home of the women’s game in Sydney.

“We thank cricket fans in Sydney for their understanding and have no doubt that the three T20Is at Adelaide Oval will set the tone for a great series,” he added.

Further, Hockley also announced the cancellation of the annual Governor-General’s XI match at Drummoyne Oval for the second consecutive year.

As the oldest cricketing rivals compete against each other in what is known as one of the greatest competitions of cricket, Australia comes in it as one of the favorites having retained the Ashes for the past three editions while the English side would look forward to their first Ashes win since 2014 as they move towards defending their World Cup title from March 4.

Revised Schedule for Women’s Ashes (AUS v ENG)

Match Date Venue
1st T20I Thursday, January 20 Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
2nd T20I Saturday, January 22 Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
3rd T20I Sunday, January 23 Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Test Thursday, Jan 27- Sunday, Jan 30 Manuka Oval, Canberra
1st ODI Thursday, February 3 Manuka Oval, Canberra
2nd ODI Sunday, February 6 Junction Oval, Melbourne
3rd ODI Tuesday, February 8 Junction Oval, Melbourne

Schedule for AUS A v ENG A

Match Date Venue
1st T20I Thursday, January 20 Karen Rolton Oval, Adelaide
2nd T20I Friday, January 21 Karen Rolton Oval, Adelaide
3rd T20I Sunday, January 23 Karen Rolton Oval, Adelaide
1st ODI Friday, January 28 Philip Oval, Canberra
2nd ODI Sunday, January 30 Philip Oval, Canberra
3rd ODI Wednesday, February 2 Philip Oval, Canberra

Author of the poetry book ‘The Scent of Rhythm’, I am a passionate writer and a Sports enthusiast who writes on Cricket and plays Badminton.

Also Read:  Meg Lanning responds to Issy Wong's comments ahead of Ashes 2023
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here