Cricket South Africa prepares for 3rd Edition of Women Super League T20

The third edition of the Women Super League T20 will be played between December 14 and 16 at Six Gun Grill Newlands Cricket Ground in Cape Town. The squads have finally been announced after the team coaches made their selection in the Cricket South Africa virtual draft pick.

South Africa Women's Cricket team claim Historic Win
South Africa Women’s Cricket team claim Historic Win. Pic Credits: ICC

The draft consisted of 13 rounds with captains already being selected much before the draft. Nadine de Klerk will lead Coronation, Sune Luus to captain Duchesses, Chloe Tryon will be the skipper for Starlights and Thistles will play under the leadership of Tumi Sekhukhune. Each team selected one player per round, thus there were four players drafted per round. The initial pick order for the first two rounds was determined by the team’s finishing position at the end of the previous season. The Coronation finished in first place last season and thus selected first. Duchesses picked next, followed by Starlights and Thistles.

The first picks were Laura Wolvaardt by Coronation, Mignon du Preez by Duchesses, Lizelle Lee by Starlights, and Shabnim Ismail by Thistles. Dane van Niekerk and Marizanne Kapp had to pull out of the draft due to injury.

“The WSL T20 tournament focuses on the development of girls’ and women’s cricket at a high-performance level. The draft will see the blend of Momentum Proteas, under-19, and top-performing provincial cricket players from all over South Africa coming together for this great spectacle to showcase their skills,” CSA said in a statement.

Also Read:  5 New Players included in the Sri Lankan Women’s squad

“WSL 3.0 draft is a perfect opportunity for players who have performed admirably in the last cricket calendar year to be rewarded for their hard work and dreams are realized with their selections in the draft,” said CSA Acting CEO Kugandrie Govender.

He further added,”Safeguarding the health and well-being of our players, employees, and everyone connected to our game as well as the general cricket community is paramount. With that in mind, we will work diligently with our production team, to create a memorable but virtual event that appropriately honors these accomplished female cricketers.”

Here’s the Squad:

Coronations Duchesses Starlights Thistles
Head Coach: Adele van Eck Head Coach: Martelize van der Merwe Head Coach: Claire Terblanche Head Coach: Angelique Taai
Asst. Coach: Shaun Pretorius Asst. Coach: Mark Arthur Asst. Coach: Neo Sekokotla Asst. Coach: Richard Hlela
Team Members
Nadine de Klerk (c) Sune Luus (c) Chloe Tryon (c) Tumi Sekhukhune (c)
Laura Wolvaardt Mignon du Preez Lizelle Lee Shabnim Ismail
Ayabonga Khaka Sinalo Jafta Masabata Klaas Trisha Chetty
Nonkululeko Mlaba Zintle Mali Andrie Steyn Anneke Bosch
Verunissa Reddy Delmi Tucker Lara Goodall Eliz-mari Marx
Madison Landman Faye Tunnicliffe Leah Jones Nonkululeko Thanbethe
Tazmin Brits Micheala Andrews Nondumiso Shangase Jade De Figuerido
Kirsty Thompson Gabsile Nkosi Anri Grobbelaar Moseline Daniels
Kgomotso Rapoo Robyn Searle Tatum Le Roux Nadia Mbokotwana
Jane Winster Gandhi Jafta Annerie Dercksen Khayakazi Mathe
Izelle Cilliers Alyssa Elxlebben Christine Tomlinson Alexandra Candler
Raisibe Ntozakhe Monalisa Legodi Khushi Mistry Courtney Gouden
Zintle Kula Michaela Kirk Evodia Yekile Nobulumko Baneti

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Masabata Klaas and Delmi Tucker called in SA's ODI Squad
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here