Which Indian players are picked in Women’s CPL 2024?

The Women’s Caribbean Premier League (WCPL) is set to bring an exciting wave of cricket action starting from August 21, 2024, with the defending champions, Barbados Royals, clashing against Guyana Amazon Warriors in the curtain raiser. As the tournament enters its third edition, the WCPL continues to grow in stature, showcasing some of the best talent in women’s cricket. The grand finale is slated for August 29, 2024, at the iconic Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad, where the three competing teams, Barbados Royals, Guyana Amazon Warriors, and Trinbago Knight Riders, will battle it out for the coveted title.

Which Indian players are picked in Women's CPL 2024?
Which Indian players are picked in Women’s CPL 2024?

After Shreyanka Patil’s trailblazing participation last year with the Guyana Amazon Warriors, all eyes are now on the Indian duo of Jemimah Rodrigues and Shikha Pandey, who are set to represent the Trinbago Knight Riders. This season also marks the debut of the legendary Indian bowler, Jhulan Goswami, in a mentor role for the Knight Riders. Adding to the star-studded lineup are Australia’s cricketing titans, Meg Lanning and Jess Jonassen, both of whom, alongside Rodrigues and Pandey, formed the core of the Delhi Capitals in the Women’s Premier League.

Shreyanka Patil made history last year as the first Indian to play for the Guyana Amazon Warriors, leaving a lasting impression as an uncapped overseas player. Though she will not return to the WCPL, it is worth mentioning that her remarkable performance in the last edition saw her emerge as the highest wicket-taker of the tournament, claiming 9 wickets in just 5 matches at an exceptional average of 11.66.

Also Read:  Final: Goa Women CC vs Vidarbha Women CC | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Jemimah Rodrigues, fresh from her milestone 100th T20I appearance in the Asia Cup final against Sri Lanka, brings her formidable skills to the Caribbean. With over 2000 runs in T20Is and a career-best of 76 against Sri Lanka, Rodrigues is not just a powerful batter but also offers a valuable off-spin option.

Her excitement about joining the WCPL is palpable, “This is the first time I’ll be coming to the WCPL. I’ve played for India in the Caribbean quite a bit, but I’m really excited that I’ll be representing the Knight Riders in WCPL. We all know the legacy that they have across the globe. Even the TKR Women’s team, champions of 2022, are a very proud side. I believe this tournament is also going to serve as a very good preparation for us leading up to the Women’s World T20 in October, with some of the best players in the world taking part in the competition”, Rodrigues said as sourced from ESPN.

Shikha Pandey, a seasoned campaigner with 62 T20Is under her belt, is another name that needs no introduction. Known for her pace and precision, Pandey has claimed 43 wickets, with her best figures of 3/14 coming against Australia. Her contributions with the bat are equally impressive, with 208 runs from 28 innings, often delivering crucial late-order blows.

As the WCPL 2024 unfolds, fans can expect thrilling encounters and standout performances from some of the world’s best cricketers. With the entire tournament set against the vibrant backdrop of Trinidad, the WCPL promises to be a spectacle of skill, strategy, and sporting spirit, further cementing its place as a premier event in women’s cricket.

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Sierra Leone Women’s National Cricket Team Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket