Uganda Women’s team emerges Champion of the Victoria Series

The Victoria Pearls, Uganda’s women’s national cricket team, have emerged as champions in the second edition of the Victoria Series held in Kampala. Despite the final match against Tanzania being washed out due to rain, Uganda was declared champions as they were leading the table with seven points, three ahead of Tanzania.

Uganda Women's team emerges Champion of the Victoria Series. PC: CricketUganda / Twitter
Uganda Women’s team emerges Champion of the Victoria Series. PC: CricketUganda / Twitter

The Victoria Pearls remained unbeaten throughout the tournament, winning all their matches except for the one against Kenya, which was canceled due to inclement weather. The team won three consecutive matches against Rwanda, Tanzania, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), showcasing their dominance on the field.

The five-team tournament provided all teams with valuable preparation for the upcoming 2023 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier. The teams that participated in the tournament were Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and UAE. Rwanda and UAE finished the tournament with four points each, while Kenya finished at the bottom with one point. Tanzania, despite having four points, made it to the final due to their better Net Run Rate.

Individual awards were given out at the end of the tournament, with Victoria Pearls Captain Consy Aweko being named the best bowler. Uganda’s MVP award was presented to Janet Mbabazi, who played a crucial role in the team’s success. Rwanda’s Henrietta Ishimwe was named the tournament MVP, while Kavisha Kumari of UAE was recognized as the best batter.

As for Uganda, the team has shifted its focus to the Capricorn Eagles Quadrangular tournament, which has just gotten underway in Windhoek. Uganda will face UAE, Hong Kong, and the hosts Namibia in the upcoming tournament, and they will be looking to carry their momentum from the Victoria Series to this tournament as well.

Sports have always been a huge part of my life, and having played cricket professionally for my state team, I gained a deeper understanding of what it takes to succeed in the world of sports. With an eye for detail and passion for sports, I’m hoping to make a lasting impact in the sports industry.

Also Read:  What has happened in Kenya Quadrangular Women's T20 Series 2022-23?
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here