New Zealand U19 defeats Indonesia by 10 Wickets

New Zealand got off to a good start to their World Cup campaign comprehensively outplaying their Indonesian rivals in the Group C match at Potchefstroom. Indonesia won the toss and decided to bat first.

New Zealand U19 defeats Indonesia by 10 Wickets. PC: Getty Images
New Zealand U19 defeats Indonesia by 10 Wickets. PC: Getty Images

Indonesia had a rough outing with the bat as they were able to post a dismal 74 on the board. Losing Ni Ariani, their opener for a golden duck in the very first ball of the first over as Anna Browning delivered a beautiful delivery. Kadek Kurniartini, the other opener was joined by Ni Luh Dewi, the skipper who slowly and steadily built on a partnership.

But before they could settle, Kurniartini was dismissed in the 6th over and the untimely run out of Gusti Ulansari with the skipper also getting dismissed subsequently meant recovery for Indonesia was hard. Thersiana Weo and Desi Wulandari kept the scorecard ticking but Weo’s dismissal almost caused a domino effect with Ni Murtiari, and Ni Indriyani also getting dismissed. Ni Suarniasih remained not out on 2 and with Wulandari also putting up a spirited effort with her 16, Indonesia ended with 74/7. Tash Wakelin was the pick of the bowlers with her three-wicket haul and Anna Browning with her two wickets were brilliant with their line and length as the other bowlers too were economical.

New Zealand had a cakewalk in the chase as the opening duo of Anna Browning with her 38* and Antonia Hamilton with her 26* sealed the deal for New Zealand in a mere 9.3 overs and ensured they got 2 crucial points on the board. Tash Wakelin with her figures of 3/14 was adjudged the ‘Player of the Match’.

Brief Scores: INA 74/7 (D Waulandari 16; T Wakelin 3/14, A Browning 2/12) lost to New Zealand (A Browning 38, A Hamilton 26) by 10 wickets and 63 balls remaining

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Also Read:  Pakistan U19 defeat Ireland by 7 wickets in the Super Six
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here