Eoin Morgan backs Women’s Hundred to Revolutionize Women’s Cricket

The second edition of the Hundred will be played in August-September in England this year. After the grand success of the inaugural event that was played by both men and women, all the fans and players are excited to experience this newest format of cricket again this year.

Women's Hundred starts from August 11 2022 just after Birmingham Commonwealth Games
Women’s Hundred starts from August 11 2022 just after Birmingham Commonwealth Games

Just like last year, this year too, 8 teams will participate in the competition. These teams will see a good mix of England internationals, domestic players as well as global stars. It will provide a good platform to the players across England and Wales and give them the exposure of playing against some of the best in the business in front of big crowds.

Eoin Morgan backs Women's Hundred to Revolutionize Women’s Cricket. PC: London Spirit / Twitter
Eoin Morgan backs Women’s Hundred to Revolutionize Women’s Cricket. PC: London Spirit / Twitter

Ahead of the Hundred, England’s World Cup-winning captain Eoin Morgan, who will feature for London Spirit in the marquee tournament, emphasized that such a competition will help in revolutionizing women’s cricket. Morgan said, “The Hundred is an overwhelming success in England. The players love it, fans love it and I think the biggest beneficiaries of the whole tournament are the girls. The women’s teams turning up had record numbers watching them play at the venues and millions following them on television. We are seeing that now with the women cricketers, probably in the last five years in England and Australia, more than anywhere else. I think you’ll see more of them in international cricket as the game grows.”

This year, the Women’s Hundred will see players from Australia, India, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies. There are a total of 24 overseas players that have been signed up for this year’s tournament. Alongside the global players, there will be players from England’s domestic circuit as well as international England players featuring in the competition.

Also Read:  Country-Wise Overseas Participants in Women's Hundred 2022

The women’s matches are played on the same day as the men’s matches, which helps in pulling big crowds for the former. For instance, the first match of the women’s Hundred will be played on August 11 between Oval Invincibles and Northern Superchargers at Kennington Oval in London, on the same day the same two men’s teams will lock horns against each other at the same venue. The only difference will be the timing of the match. In this case, the men’s game will be followed by the women’s game.

There is seldom any doubt that just like the last year, this year too the Women’s Hundred is likely to grab many eyeballs and thereby help in the overall development of women’s sport.

The quotes are sourced from The National News written by Amith Passela

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here