Milestone: Suzie Bates completes 250 International Matches for New Zealand

All-rounder Suzie Bates made her 250th international appearance for the White Ferns playing the NZ v ENG series decider on 9th September.

This match was her 125th T20I. The right-hander has represented New Zealand in 125 ODIs and is the leading run-scorer for her team in international cricket.

Suzie Bates complete 250 International Matches for New Zealand
Suzie Bates complete 250 International Matches for New Zealand

On being informed of her record, Bates said “That’s actually the first I’ve known of that, I guess, now that I think about it, that makes sense, but I think being out of the game with an injury and coming back into the group, the first game almost felt like my debut again. Although I’ve played 250 matches, I’m feeling pretty refreshed. I’m a bit overwhelmed, because I didn’t realize I’d played that many, so it will be a special day.”

Suzannah Wilson Bates, or Suzie as she’s called, made her ODI debut back in 2006 against India and her T20I debut in 2007 against South Africa.

She scored a blazing 37 ball-62 on her T20I debut which included 11 fours and also picked up the wicket of Ashlyn Kilowan. She now has 1 T20I hundred to her name and 21 fifties along with 50 wickets.

In her 15 year-long career, this is not the first record that she has got to her name; some of her many records include –

T20Is –

Most runs in a calendar year – 670 runs (2018)
Most catches in career – 65
Most runs in career – 3310 runs

ODIs –

Most runs on a single ground – 843 runs at Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Lincoln
Most catches in career – 67
Most catches in a series – 20 (ICC women’s championship)

Also Read:  4th ODI - Heather Knight's Century help England take series victory against New Zealand Women

As her role suggests, she is indeed an ‘all-rounder’ with exceptional performances across all realms of cricket – She bats, she fields, she bowls and she has also captained (2011-17).

Fun fact – she has represented New Zealand in women’s basketball and also worked as an assistant coach.

Bates was named ODI Cricketer of the year in 2013, 2015 and T20I cricketer of the year in 2015. She was also named the captain of ICC’s one-day team of the year in 2019.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here