Nadine de Klerk and Masabata Klaas star with the ball for South Africa to level T20I series

The New Zealand women’s team visited South Africa for a limited-overs series, which included a three-match ODI series followed by a five-match T20I series which commenced on 24 September 2023. South Africa clinched the ODI series with a 2-1 margin.

Nadine de Klerk and Masabata Klaas star with the ball for South Africa to level T20I series. PC: Getty
Nadine de Klerk and Masabata Klaas star with the ball for South Africa to level T20I series. PC: Getty

The first three matches of the five-match T20I series were heavily affected by rain and as a result, a couple of matches were abandoned and the second T20I yielded no result. New Zealand clinched the 4th T20I comprehensively, courtesy of a clinical 135-run partnership between Amelia Kerr (70 off 46 balls) and skipper Sophie Devine (61 off 37 balls). The duo completed their individual half-centuries en route to their match-winning 3rd wicket partnership.

New Zealand skipper Sophie Devine won the toss and opted to field first. After being inserted to bat first, the South African openers got off to a solid start, scoring over six runs per over before Lea Tahuhu knocked over the South African skipper Laura Wolvaardt for 24 off 20 balls, ending her confident stay at the crease. Anneke Bosch joined Tazmin Brits at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 60-run partnership for the second wicket before Molly Penfold came back on for the second over of her spell to dismiss Anneke Bosch.

Sune Luus joined Tazmin Brits at the crease and the duo stitched a 19-run partnership for the third wicket before Lea Tahuhu came back and picked up her second wicket of the day in the last over of her spell by dismissing Tazmin Brits for a well-made 45 scoring at a strike rate of 118.42. South Africa eventually ended up with a total of 155/5 in their quota of overs. Tazmin Brits (45 off 38 balls) and Sune Luus (36 off 23 balls) were the top performers with the bat for South Africa. Lea Tahuhu (2/20) was the top performer with the ball for New Zealand.

Also Read:  Match 32: Hobart Hurricanes v Brisbane Heat | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Chasing the target of 156, the New Zealand openers got off to a steady start, scoring at just over six runs per over before Masabata Klaas dismissed opening batter Kate Anderson for a 10-ball 11 to provide the first breakthrough for South Africa. Amelia Kerr joined Suzie Bates at the crease and the duo stitched a massive, game-changing 97-run partnership for the second wicket to bring the visitors in a very strong position in the run chase.

Nadine de Klerk came back on for her third over of her spell to trap Suzie Bates plumb in front hitting her right on the back leg to provide the second breakthrough for South Africa. Skipper Sophie Devine joined Amelia Kerr at the crease and the duo stitched a 13-run partnership for the third wicket before Masabata Klaas dismissed skipper Amelia Kerr to get her the second wicket of the day.

New Zealand, somehow, eventually fell 11 runs short of the target, failing to score 19 runs off the last over. They suffered a collapse as they lost their last five wickets for just eight runs. Amelia Kerr (61 off 47 balls) was the top performer with the bat for New Zealand. Nadine de Klerk (3/24) and Masabata Klaas (3/26) were the top performers with the ball for South Africa. The five-match T20I series (1-1) was eventually shared between both these sides.

Masabata Klaas (3/26) was awarded the Player of the Match for her brilliant performance with the ball. Amelia Kerr (134 runs and 1 wicket) was awarded the Player of the Series for her all-round show right through the series.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here