Mithali Raj surpasses Charlotte Edwards to become leading run-scorer in Women’s International Cricket

The 38-year-old, Mithali Raj was just 12 runs away from achieving this wonderful feat before the start of the 3rd ODI at Worcester. She went on to score an unbeaten 75 Runs that helped India win over England in a nail-biting encounter. During the process, Mithali Raj also surpassed Charlotte Edwards’s record and became the leading run-scorer in Women’s International cricket across formats.

Mithali Raj is the leading run-scorer in Women's ODI Cricket
Mithali Raj is the leading run-scorer in Women’s ODI Cricket. PC: Getty Images

The former English captain Charlotte Edwards held the record with 10273 runs in 309 international appearances, while India’s Test and ODI captain, Mithali Raj had 10261 runs in 316 international games, the highest number of appearances in women’s cricket.

Over her illustrious career spanning 22 years, the stylish and elegant right-hand bat has shattered many records. On June 26 this year, she created history as she became only the second cricketer, after Sachin Tendulkar to complete 22 years of an international career. She is currently the all-time leading run-scorer for India in all formats, including Tests, ODIs, and T20Is, and the second-highest in the world of women’s cricket. She is the first woman cricketer to complete 7000 runs in One Day International cricket. In 216 ODIs, she has mustered 7229 runs at a stellar average of 51.26. She has scored 57 half-centuries and seven centuries, which is the most by an Indian female cricketer. She holds the record for playing the most consecutive Women’s One Day Internationals for a team (109).

Also Read:  2nd T20I - What all records were created during India vs England 2nd T20I at Hove?

Till now, Mithali has played in five World Cup tournaments, in which she has scored 1,139 runs at an average of 54.23, which is the third-best average in World Cups after Sarah Taylor and Karen Rolton (among the players who have played 10 or more matches in the tournament). During the 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup, Raj scored her seventh consecutive half-century and made a record for most consecutive fifties by a player. Mithali is the 1st Indian and 5th woman cricketer overall to score over 1,000 World Cup runs. She has also scored nine fifties in her five World Cup tournament appearances, which is the best by any Indian women cricketer and joint third-most after Debbie Hockley (12), Charlotte Edwards (11), Karen Rolton (9). In the 2013 Women’s World Cup, Mithali scored her best score of unbeaten 103 not out against the Pakistan Women’s team, which is the third-highest score by an Indian women cricketer in a World Cup match after Harmanpreet Kaur (171* and 107* not out).

Female Cricket congratulates Mithali Raj on this historic milestone.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here