Bangladesh defeats India after 5 years in Women’s T20Is

In a thrilling finale to the T20I series, Bangladesh secured a consolation win against India, preventing the visitors from achieving a clean sweep. Chasing a modest target of 103 runs, Bangladesh’s opener, Shamima Sultana, played a crucial role, scoring a patient 42 off 46 balls.

Bangladesh defeats India after 5 years in Women's T20Is. PC: BCB / Twitter
Bangladesh defeats India after 5 years in Women’s T20Is. PC: BCB / Twitter

Once again, India found themselves struggling against Bangladesh’s spinners, reminiscent of their difficulties in the second T20I. Shafali Verma attempted an aggressive shot but could only find the fielder at long-on. Seamer Marufa Akter and Sultana effectively contained Shafali by deploying two deep fielders on the leg side and denying her width outside off stump.

Shorna Akter struck in her lone over, dismissing a well-set Jemimah Rodrigues, who was stumped, triggering a collapse from 91 for 3 to 102 for 9. Pooja Vastrakar, Deepti Sharma, and Minnu Mani all fell victim to spin while attempting to accelerate in the final overs. Deepti was caught at deep midwicket off the final delivery, handing Rabeya a well-deserved three-wicket haul.

Bangladesh’s spinners bowled 17 overs, exerting significant pressure on India, who faced 44 dot balls during their innings. Harmanpreet Kaur, who had struggled in the previous match, played a crucial innings to stabilize the Indian innings again. Harmanpreet struck the sole six of the game too. However, after her dismissal, in the last four overs, India managed just 12 runs, losing six wickets in the process, and finished their innings at 102 for 9.

With a target of 103, Shamima Sultana took it upon herself to lead Bangladesh’s chase, displaying responsibility and resilience. She focused on rotating the strike, hitting only three boundaries throughout her innings. Sultana formed a crucial partnership of 46 runs with captain Nigar Sultana, which set the stage for a successful chase.

Also Read:  Bangladesh records a Historic Maiden ODI victory against India

Ritu Moni and Nahida Akter kept their composure, ensuring Bangladesh did not encounter further hiccups. A pivotal moment came in the form of a 13-run over from debutant Rashi Kanojiya, who was brought in as a replacement for B Anusha. This over eased the pressure on the batting side, and Bangladesh sealed the victory with relative ease. The win was a testament to their bowlers’ exceptional performance in back-to-back matches.

Sports have always been a huge part of my life, and having played cricket professionally for my state team, I gained a deeper understanding of what it takes to succeed in the world of sports. With an eye for detail and passion for sports, I’m hoping to make a lasting impact in the sports industry.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here