Undoubtedly, T20 format has taken a lead among all other cricket formats. Gone are the days, when new comers would make their international debut in Test matches and their performance and efficiency in the longest format would decide their future in the sport.
Today, we bring you some very interesting facts about the players who have played for their nation in this 20-over format but were never given opportunity in any other format of the game.
In total, there are twenty-four (24) players from different countries who have played only T20s for their nation. Namely -
Taniya Bhatia IND (9),
Saskia Bullen NZ (3),
Alice Davidson-Richards ENG (4),
Nishika de Silva SL (3),
Hanna de Burgh Whyte IRE (1),
Jodie Dibble ENG (1),
Maxime Entrop NED (2),
Rangika Fernando SL (3),
Katie George ENG (3),
Kate Heffernan NZ (2),
Latika Kumari IND (6),
Lily Rani Biswas BAN (4),
Beth MacGregor ENG (3),
Kate McKenna IRE (3),
Sabbhineni Meghana IND(6),
Sophie Molineux AUS (3),
Cathy Murphy IRE (2),
Anuja Patil IND (32),
Bryony Smith ENG (2),
Melissa Smook SA (3),
Naomi Stalenberg AUS (1),
Molly Strano AUS (5),
Fareeha Mehmood PAK (1),
Radha Yadav IND (4)
*figures in the bracket indicates the number of T20I played till 3rd April 2018
Now, let's look at the records of Indian players in this list:-
1. Taniya Bhatia - Born on 28 Nov 1997, this youngster is a right hand wicketkeeper batter and made her T20 debut on 13th February 2018 against South Africa. Out of the 9 T20s she played for India, she batted only once scoring 1 run off 3 balls. The reason is probably she bats in the bottom middle order hence do not get much chance in batting.
2. Latika Kumari - This 26-year-old opener is a right hand batter and made her debut in ICC Women's World Cup T20 2009. She got to play only one game (June 11) in the tournament where she made 4 runs facing 9 balls. Then, after a drought of nearly 5 years, she got out for a golden duck in her comeback game on 9th March 2014 and made 36 runs off 47 balls in the following game, which remains her highest score till date. Later in July 2015, she could manage only 19 runs in two games. Only 2 runs were scored by her in her last game.
It can be said that Latika could not make much out of the given opportunities and her inefficiency in building consistency played the havoc in her international career so far.
3. Sabbhineni Meghana - A 21-year-old opening batter played her first international match on 20th November 2016 making 17 runs off 16 balls and 19 runs off 20 balls in the following game is her career best. Last T20 international played by her was on 4th December 2016, in which she made 9 runs on facing 16 balls.
4. Radha Yadav - Born on 21st April 2000, she is just 17 years of age and one among the youngest players to make T20 debut for India on 13th February 2018 against South Africa. Although she could not take a wicket in her debut match but have decent bowling figures (3-0-21-0) in it. She took her first wicket on 26th March which was her third international match. So far, she has played four matches for India performing very well in the last game with impressive figures of 3-0-11-2.
Hopefully, India is going to get a very talented and consistent bowler in her in near future.
5. Anuja Patil - And the biggest surprise is here!!! Yes friends, you must be knowing this 25-year-old all-rounder of the Indian squad. It's because she has played over 30 T20 matches for India, has been a regular T20 national player since 2016 and still, she hasn't played in any other format of the game even after her international debut on 29 September 2012. Anuja, who is well known figure in national T20 team, started as a bowler. But, soon she got a chance to open in her 4th T20 on 26th October 2012 and made a half century straight away. After 2012, she took a break and returned back in 2016. Since then, Anuja Patil has played prominent role both in batting and bowling. Patil has been particularly very good in batting in her latest form, scoring 38 off 26, 2 off 1 and 35 off 21 balls in the last series recently concluded in March.
Overall, it's really very surprising that even after so much experience and consistent performance in T20, she has not been given chance in longer formats.