Mighty Jhulan Goswami takes her 200th ODI wicket – highest by any in Women’s cricket
Off late, by this time you must have heard about the new feat achieved by Indian medium pacer, legendary Jhulan Goswami.
Yes, friends… Jhulan has added yet another feather to her illustrious cap by taking 200 wickets in Women’s International ODIs. She has become the first bowler in Women’s ODI history to do so. Jhulan went through a journey of 166 Women ODIs to reach this milestone.
The event happened in the 2nd match of ODI series against South Africa when Goswami dismissed Laura Wolwaardt on the last ball of the 5th over of South Africa’s batting innings. It was also the first wicket for India Women in this match which they went on to win with a huge margin. Thus, it may be rightly said that Jhulan Goswami’s 200th wicket became a stepping stone for the team towards one of its best wins so far.
Reactions from all over the cricket fraternity started pouring in immediately after it to congratulate the veteran Indian cricketer for her exceptionally wonderful achievement. Some of them are as follows:-
1. Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar sent his wishes on Twitter saying, ” A big congratulations to #JhulanGoswami on her 200th ODI wicket. #Jhulan200 #SAWvINDW “
What a match this is turning out to be!! Stellar performance by @mandhana_smriti once again. A big congratulations to #JhulanGoswami on her 200th ODI wicket. #Jhulan200 #SAWvINDW pic.twitter.com/Qz8potomrj
— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) February 7, 2018
2. Harsha Bhogle tweeted, ” Hearty congratulations to the legend, Jhulan Goswami, @JhulanG10, as she picks up number 200. Very proud of you. It is a great summit to be standing upon”
3. VVS Laxman wrote, ” Congratulations @JhulanG10 on the landmark. It’s great to see your determination and hard work being rewarded. Keep it going. #inspiration @BCCIWomen “
4. Australian cricketer Michael Clarke, ” Congratulations Jhulan. Absolute superstar “
Congratulations Jhulan. Absolute superstar https://t.co/s9dJa91fGN
— Michael Clarke (@MClarke23) February 8, 2018
5. Former Indian cricketer Aakash Chopra, ” 200 ODI Wickets. First woman to reach this summit is an Indian. Stand up and applaud….Jhulan Goswami, you’re a legend ? “
6. English Former Cricketer Isa Guha tweeted, ” Congrats @JhulanG10 200 wickets is a special achievement but what’s more impressive is the fact you’ve been India’s spearhead for 16 years!!!! Amazing to think how many people you have inspired in that time and continue to inspire (male and female) #jhulu #bengalilegend “
The current teammates celebrated their senior team member’s achievement on the field during and after the match by clicking pictures with the player and sent in whole hearted congratulatory messages on Twitter.
1. Sushma Verma writing, “Special celebrations ?
Another milestone??#LEGEND @JhulanG10 200*”
2. Vanitha VR, “This day seems sooooo special !! @JhulanG10 200 special !”
— Vanitha VR (@ImVanithaVR) February 7, 2018
Team captain Mithali Raj said, “The things that happen when you have a fantastic team! So proud. And what a day for @JhulanG10 !! Brilliant start for cricket, 2018!”
— Mithali Raj (@M_Raj03) February 7, 2018
Interestingly, in men’s side too, the first bowler to take 200 ODI wickets was an Indian and he was non other than all-rounder Kapil Dev.
Reflecting on her state of mind during the match, Goswami said, “Honestly speaking, when I was only three wickets away from being the highest wicket-taker in the world, I was keeping a count. I took a long time to cross that milestone, but this time I was not counting. I was concentrating only on my processes. If my process is right, then wickets will follow.”
When asked about how she feels after her achievemnt, she answered, “Whatever milestone you have achieved, it feels good (only) when you are on the winning side. It was important for us to win. The points are important as it is the ICC Women’s Championship, a qualifying event for the ICC Women?s World Cup 2021. So, more than the 200 wickets, it was important to take the two points from each and every match.”
Also she said that she remembers each of her 200 wickets and each one is important.
Wishing her the best for her future instincts, we hope her touching new heights in the times to come.
‘Gully’ cricket player and close observer of Indian Cricket team and it’s matches. Straight forward and still socially admirable personality. Strong belief in teamwork and possess high leadership skills.