Quadriceps strain rules out skipper Sophie Devine out of 5th T20I against England

The New Zealand women’s team led by skipper Sophie Devine is currently hosting England for a white-ball series that includes a five-match T20I series followed by a three-match ODI series that will conclude on 7th April 2024.

Quadriceps strain rules out skipper Sophie Devine out of 5th T20I against England

The England women’s team led by skipper Heather Knight clinched the first couple of T20Is before the home side New Zealand bounced back to edge England by three runs in the 3rd T20I to keep the T20I series alive. Skipper Sophie Devine was awarded the Player of the Match for her exceptional all-round performance, scoring (60 off 37 balls) with the bat and returning with match figures (2/23) with the ball in her three-over spell.

New Zealand eventually conceded the T20I series as they lost the 4th T20I by 47 runs. The white ferns not only lost the T20I series, but they also suffered a huge blow as they lost their skipper Sophie Devine to a quadriceps strain which has ruled her out of the 5th T20I, a huge blow for the hosts. She suffered the injury while fielding in the 4th T20I. She did not even come out to bat in the 4th T20I courtesy of the seriousness of the injury.

Her participation in the three-match ODI series starting from 1st April 2024, will be determined after she undergoes a rehabilitation program. She scored 77 runs at a strike rate of 150.98 and an average of 38.5 in two innings in the series. The 20-year-old batter Georgia Plimmer has been called up as the replacement for the New Zealand skipper Sophie Devine.

Also Read:  Watch Video: Suzie Bates defends 8 Runs in Final over to beat England by 3 Runs

“We’re obviously disappointed for Sophie, but the focus is now to make her available for as much of the ODI series as possible. Sophie will be monitored over the next few days and that will give us a better idea of what her availability is before the first game on Monday. The ODI series is an important series for us with ICC ODI Championship points on the line so we’re hopeful that Sophie will make a quick recovery.” New Zealand head coach Ben Sawyer speaks about assessing the availability of the New Zealand skipper Sophie Devine for the upcoming ODI series against England.

The 5th and final T20I of the series will be played on 29th March 2024, from 5:30 am IST, at the Basin Reserve, Wellington, before the caravan moves on to the three-match ODI series that will commence on 1st April 2024 (Monday) and will conclude on 7th April 2024 (Sunday).

Quotes Sourced from: ESPN Cricinfo

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here