Ellyse Perry looks forward to playing International Cricket after a year’s break

Australian star cricketer Ellyse Perry is all set to return to international cricket in their T20 series against New Zealand, after recovering from her hamstring injury that occurred during the 2020 World Cup.

Ellyse Perry injured herself while fielding during New Zealand clash
Ellyse Perry injured herself while fielding during the New Zealand clash. PC: Getty Images

Perry’s absence during the T20 World Cup 2020 did not make much of a difference as no one could prevent the Australian team from taking the championship title home.

“It’s probably taken me the best part of 12 months to feel like I’m, I guess, back to full playing fitness and performance levels in terms of just recovering from my hamstring and just not playing a lot of cricket,” said the 30-year-old.

Perry feels that she got a chance to improve her game in the year-long break. After all this long, she still says that her game is a work in progress. The all-rounder, who missed her autumn T20 and ODI series against New Zealand said- “By no means was I close during the WBBL to where I was before I got injured and it’s probably still a bit of a work in progress. But at the end of the day, it’s kind of been a really nice opportunity to work on various aspects of my game, including the way that I bat and bowl.”

Talking about the upcoming T20 series against New Zealand, she said – “Any time you take the field against New Zealand, regardless of the context, it feels like a super challenge. There’s obviously incredible history between our two teams and also our two countries as well, in terms of the rivalry that we have from a sporting perspective”.

Talking about the World Cup she said – “I think we learned a lot from that World Cup in terms of how to hold events, particularly for women’s sport, and I think it was a really nuanced approach to that World Cup.”

Also Read:  Who is 18-year old Darcie Brown who made her International debut for Australia?

“It really stood out to me that there’s a lot of time and effort and investment put into really making it a unique event, which appealed specifically to the women’s game and distinct from, I guess, any other World Cup,” she added.

“I think the game is in such a great spot and is incredibly healthy and there’s a lot of opportunities to capitalize on the progress that we’ve made,” she concluded.

(Source: Skysports; Andrew Voerman- Stuff.co.nz)

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here