Discussions involving Tri-Series between India, England and South Africa Women underway

Pandemic has forced a break on all sporting activities throughout the globe. The activities that were common in our normal lives appear a luxury in the new life which tries to fight the novel virus and live a life as well. Men’s cricket is about to start in England. They are hosting the Windies.

The Indian subcontinent has no definite clues on the resumption of the game. Men from Indian cricket are all over Instagram and youtube lives but their day to return back to the fields is still unknown. The Women, however, appears ready to return to action. As per a report from TheHindu.com, the women in blue are set to tour England for a tri-series. Proteas will be the third team in the tri-series.

India vs England Women. Pic Credits: Twitter
India vs England Women. Pic Credits: Twitter

 

As expected, the safety of the players will the topmost priority for the organizers. It is reported that the series will likely be held in a bio-bubble. However, BCCI will have to do more than preparing and sharpening the players. It will have to appoint selectors before the side flies to England. It has to be noted that the selection panel for women has been non-existent since January. Sources told TheHindu that discussions between BCCI and England and Wales Cricket Board are on track. The chances of a tri-series and talks around them are “well on course”.

Interestingly, a similar hint was given by the Cheif Executive Officer of ECB earlier when he was featuring on a BBC podcast. It is speculated that the Indian side might fly from India on 20th August and shall observe stern 14-day isolation after landing. The tri-series, on the other hand, could start on 10th September. BCCI has to get the government by its side to get the Indian team on English soil. Further, as mentioned, it has to get the selectors.

Also Read:  Inspiration sees no boundaries - A heartfelt letter from a Pakistan fan to Indian cricketer Mansi Joshi

Previously, there were five members in the selection committee. It was headed by former India international Hemlata Kala. Their tenure had expired as their last assignment was the T20 Women’s Cricket world cup. BCCI, on its parts, had invited applications for all five posts left vacant in the selection committee. Apart from these five, there were two vacancies for senior and junior men’s sides. The richest board has however filled the posts only for senior men’s positions.

There were more than 10 former international players who had filled the applications in January and they are still waiting to hear anything from BCCI. Hemlata has confirmed that she is relieved from her duties. A candidate told TheHindu that “I have been in touch with some of the others who had applied and none of us has heard anything from the BCCI since January 24, which was the deadline for submitting applications”.

The cricket board of the most populous cricket-playing nation seems to have done nothing for six months to address the void of the selection committee. The reason, from BCCI, could be the lockdown but boards around the globe have worked in similar conditions. These delays strengthen allegations of authorities being biased towards male players and warrant a more sensitive and egalitarian approach.

Source: Amol Karhadkar / The Hindu

Liked the story? Leave a comment here