1st T20I – West Indies Women and Deandra Dottin spoil Pakistan Women’s 100th T20I party

After 4 long years, the women’s cricket had returned to Pakistan. But it wasn’t a fairytale return as Windies women spoiled the party for the hosts. After winning the toss and opting to bat, the openers went off to a flyer as Deandra Dottin decided to take on the bowlers. But in the 4th over of the innings, Nashra Sandhu took the wicket of Kycia Knight for 8. But Dottin didn’t hold back and continued to show her intent. In the 12th over, Campbelle got run out for her struggling 4 of 13. Then Chedean Nation joined Dottin and they both started to take on the bowlers.

It wasn’t a fairytale return as Windies women spoiled the party for the hosts. After winning the toss and opting to bat,the Windies openers went off to a flyer as Deandra Dottin decided to take on the bowlers. In the 4th over, Nashra Sandhu provided the first breakthrough as she took the wicket of Kycia Knight for 8. But Dottin didn’t hold back and continued to show her intent. Campbelle was struggling to rotate the strike and was eventually run out on 4 off 13. Chedean Nation joined Dottin and it was no looking back for the visitors. Both of them were positive on the crease and found the ropes more often. Deandra Dottin remained not out on 90 of just 60 balls comprising of 8 fours and 4 sixes. This is the second time in her career so far that she has remained not out in the 90s. Chedean Nation too scored a half century of 35 balls with 4 fours and 2 sixes. This was her maiden half century in the shortest format.The duo helped Windies post a total of 160 on the board. They both added 109 runs in 11.4 overs.

With a massive total to chase, the Pakistan women didn’t looked comfortable in the chase. The captain of the side Bismah Maroof was the lone fighter in the chase. With 100 needed in last 10 overs with 6 wickets in hand, they kept losing wickets at regular intervals and were eventually bundled out for 89 in 18 overs. Bismah Maroof  was the highest scorer in the innings with 38 off 37 balls including 4 fours. Shamilia Connell starred with the ball taking 3 wickets. Shakera Selman and Anisa Mohammed too chipped in taking 2 wickets each. It was a complete team performance from the Windies whereas the hosts on the other side have a lot of questions to answer.

Also Read:  3rd ODI: Ireland v Pakistan Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

1st T20I - West Indies Women and Deandra Dottin spoil Pakistan Women’s 100th T20I party

Deandra Dottin remained not out on 90(60) comprising of 8 fours and 4 sixes. Chedean Nation too brought her half century in 35 balls with 4 fours and 2 sixes. The duo helped Windies post a total of 160 on the board. With a massive total needed to chase, the hosts didn’t get on with the chase and kept loosing wickets at regular intervals. The captain of the side Bismah Maroof tried hard but none of the batters were able to stick around her. She was the highest scorer in the innings with 38 off 37 including 4 fours. The hosts couldn’t play their full quota of 20 overs and were bundled out for 89 in 18 overs. Shamilia Connell starred with the ball taking 3 wickets. Shakera Selman and Anisa Mohammed too chipped in taking 2 wickets each helping Windies take an early lead in the series.

Deandra Dottin was adjudged player of the match for her unbeaten score of 90 and also taking a wicket. She has been the most consistent performer for the side in the shortest format. Her ability to clear the fence with ease makes her most valuable player in the side. Also her raw pace is a threat for any batter playing against her. As seen earlier, she will be hoping to continue her form and will be eyeing a century in the upcoming matches. Chedean Nation too chipped in with the bat adding extra depth to the batting line up.

Pakistan will be hoping to bounce back and level the series whereas Windies will be looking to wrap up the series in the 2nd T20I itself.

Pakistan will be hoping to bounce back and level the series whereas Windies will be looking to wrap up the series in the 2nd T20I itself.

Also Read:  Match 5: India v Pakistan | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

“I am disappointed. I feel that the team can do a lot better, they need to take responsibility collectively,” Mark Coles, Coach of the Pakistan Women’s Cricket said.

“We have worked hard and maybe it was the nerves of playing a big game for the first time in 14 years at home. I hope we will have a better performance in the upcoming games.”

The two teams will also play a ODI series in UAE in February.

Both teams observed a minute’s silence before the match in memory of Sharmeen Khan, a former Pakistan women’s cricket team captain who is considered one of the main pioneers in promoting women’s cricket in the country.

Sharmeen was the captain of the Pakistan team in an unofficial series when West Indies visited the country in 2004.

Brief Scores:-

WIW- 160/2 in 20 overs

(Deandra Dottin 90*(60), Chedean Nation 50(35); Nashra Sandhu 1-23 ) defeated PAKW- 89/10 in 18 overs

(Bismah Maroof 38(37), Javeria Khan 19(19); Shamilia Connell 3-29, Shakera Selman 2-8) by 71 runs

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here